Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hybrid Solar Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

israr ahmad

i am working on my FYP titled as Hybrid solar lighting. The problem i am facing is how to limit the temperature on the focal point of parabolic dish which is being exceeding more than 400 degree celceius... plz help me in this regard.....

400C ? Wow, that's hot! Well I can't see the whole project but my first thoughts are to use a smaller dish to collect less sunlight. If the dish size is not able to be adjusted, you could limit the light getting to the focal point with a scrim, which is sort of just a wire screen. It's used in professional lighting to reduce the brightness of a light, block and soften it a bit. Other methods could include covering a portion of the reflector, or altering a portion of the surface by painting or covering it with a fabric of some kind to reduce the effective reflecting area. I don't know how much cooler you need it to be.

If I assume you really want all that light energy but not the heat, a large aluminum heatsink could draw excess heat away. My recent experiments with high power LEDs on heatsinks showed that even a tiny fan with just a bit of airflow was able to make a modest heatsink appear to be huge, so consider forced-air cooling too. Stay away from heavy metals though on a heatsink, you want the heatsink to get hot, so it transfers more heat away from it, which is why aluminum is a good material for heatsinks.

Probably the most powerful option is to use good old water (or anti-freeze) that can either be passively circulated or actively pumped over/across the heated area would do well. Instead of water, oil is a common cooling agent in high power transmitters, transformers and other electrical devices because it will not short-out conductors. Oil is potentially dangerous though since it can burn if it gets too hot and is exposed to oxygen.

We need more details to answer in any more specific detail.

how does your setup look like? i am also interested in solar lighting and it would be very much appreciated if you could post your actual work. Thank you!!

i am working on my FYP titled as Hybrid solar lighting. The problem i am facing is how to limit the temperature on the focal point of parabolic dish which is being exceeding more than 400 degree celceius... plz help me in this regard.....
We can't tell what you are doing.
If the temp at focus is too much, try de-focus-ing. Move the target closer or farther away and the hot spot will get bigger (and cooler).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back