Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HV Capacitor Discharge Probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

OK, gotten hit by HV twice now, and that's twice too many. I am looking for a capacitive discharge probe that works at 10kV or greater. It has to be a commercially made unit (no DIY) because this is for a work purchase (my HV hobbies have basically sprung from my work experience). But other people are getting shocked too, from very unexpected sources - ignition coils that apparently have parasitic capacitance and will arc when they have been disconnected for a minute or two for instance. Freaky stuff happens with HV.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks!

speakerguy79 said:
Freaky stuff happens with HV.

Not if you Understand the HV.

How about a High Voltage, High Value Resistor to Discharge residual voltage?

Without Knowing your circuit or Voltages, I can't be more specific as to Values.

speakerguy79 said:
OK, gotten hit by HV twice now, and that's twice too many. I am looking for a capacitive discharge probe that works at 10kV or greater. It has to be a commercially made unit (no DIY) because this is for a work purchase (my HV hobbies have basically sprung from my work experience). But other people are getting shocked too, from very unexpected sources - ignition coils that apparently have parasitic capacitance and will arc when they have been disconnected for a minute or two for instance. Freaky stuff happens with HV.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Why is no DIY allowed? For something like this, you'll likely have to make your own anyways. Whats wrong with using some 20kV wire, a high voltage resistor attached to some sort of non-conducting handle (nylon, wood etc..) that lets you poke the discharge resistor around wherever you like?

If someone dies due to electrocution, we don't want to be getting sued over someone claiming our DIY capacitor discharge probe was faulty or something. I doubt that it would help us pass ISO certification either, which we are up for in the next year or so...

I know they make commercial ones, my boss used them in the Navy working on radios. I just need to figure out where to buy one.

speakerguy79 said:
If someone dies due to electrocution, we don't want to be getting sued over someone claiming our DIY capacitor discharge probe was faulty or something. I doubt that it would help us pass ISO certification either, which we are up for in the next year or so...

I know they make commercial ones, my boss used them in the Navy working on radios. I just need to figure out where to buy one.

Nothing is going to Protect you While the unit is Operating.
Keep you fingers out of it.

But the use of a "Bleeder Resistor" is Quite Common and Relilable to remove Residual or Static charges on Capacitors.

Dale-Vishay make Many different values and wattages of resistors going up to over 50,000 volts and 10 watt ratings, also low values, going to greater than 10 gig-ohms.

Alternately, A Relay could be used to Short Out the Output When the Main Power is Shut off.
Numerous Relays are Available with very High Voltage Contacts.

Why not buy a high voltage probe for your DMM? Then you can measure HV when the circuit is powered and discharge it slowly when the power is off and verify that it is safe. Me, I've always used a screwdriver to discharge CRT anodes but that'll probably be too much for some other HV circuits.

speakerguy79 said:

So someone else is going to use it? I missed that point. That's a different story. Umm look at DP40 here:

**broken link removed**

Would that do the trick?

Hey Optikon,

Yep, that's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks.

We do have two high voltage probes at work but I am usually the one using them since I am setting up the high voltage systems for other people's experiments and doing the initial testing of them. After they're setup I'm back in the electronics lab designing the next HV system. Once their experiments are setup they need something to ensure their safety, so this should work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back