Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hurry Hardwear People Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaSmurf

My nieghbor is selling a shitload of coputer parts, what does a hardrive look like, and there are a whole bunch of memory upgrades, what should i buy!?

i alreaedy bought 2 mother boards for 3 bux each

help!

Jhd

A hardrive looks like a metal box. Just like what a CD-rom drive might look like but possibly smaller and without the tray at the front.

how much could i get for it, theres like 40-60 small metal boxes w/ no slit in them for a CD

but there all different, so wich type should i buy, im jsut worried how much i could get for it on eBay

HD

Sorry, can't help you there. THe trend has been for hardrives to get smaller and hold more so they are all different and you can't tell how much it holds by looking at it's size. The amount of hardrives you can use is almost limited by the number of hardrive slots in your computer...so you can't just buy a million low capacity harddrives and stick them all in...

How old are they?

idk, but i went over there just now and i told him i wanted to build my own computer and he tought me so much stuff and he put together everything with me like the hardrive fan ram ect. and he also gave me books too!

he was so nice, and when i went into his garage there was 4x as much stuff

it turns out he's 56 and he's been working for intel for a long time.... hold on, i'll take a pic of what he gave me

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Some of that stuff looks pretty old. The mobo's are probably early pentium, and that hard drive looks to be about 1 gig.

I don't know if I'd use that stuff for a "regular" desktop PC, but it would be good to experiment with, doing home automation or something.

None of this looks like it's worth anything, sorry. You could probably run a copy of Linux on those things and they would be somewhat useable.

One good thing is Western Digital has a nice upgrade plan. If you give them the serial number on that harddrive you bought, you can get a pretty decent priced new one shipped to your door. It'll be a little more than $3.00 though.

Just call up their support line listed here:
**broken link removed**

Ancient stuff. Usually nobody wants to mess with making old stuff like this work, it can take a long time, may not work, and the assembled machine ain't worth squat anyways. Not worth the hours to install software on.

Some people make interesting art pieces out of old hardware like this. Perhaps you should get creative?

PapaSmurf said:
can i make it into a decent computer?

Depends what you mean by 'decent', with old computer parts you can build an old computer - by modern standards it will be extremely slow, but if you install an OS from back then (Win95, Win98 or a version of Linux) then it will run as it did when new.

As suggested, it would make a useful PIC programming machine, or other hardware based computer - and it doesn't matter much if you kill it!.

I see a lot of nice old SIMM modules there ... cut 'em in half, sand down the sharp edges, clean 'em, put a split ring through one of the mounting holes (or drill a new hole), and sell them / give them as keychains.

same idea for the CPU, aside from the cutting in half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back