Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

human body feels DC current or AC current ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waheeda

hii friends
thanks for the replies but u did.nt get what i mean. i was saying that is the 40 m amp current is AC or it DC tell which one of that is?
i know that 20m amp is enough to shock but the question is which current is it DC or AC ?
plz friends im waiting thanks

DC makes your muscles contract continuously so you can't get away from the electrical power.
AC vibrates your muscles so you can let go, get away and have a cold beer. And never touch high voltage again!

20mA or 40mA through you of either AC or DC would be very painful.

BTW, 40mA is 1000 times smaller than 40A. A huge difference.

Why start a new thread for the same topic? I had to find the other thread.

of course neither of those values would harm you if there isnt sufficient voltage to push it through your body. You could in theory dangle from a 1000A supply line @ 1V and it wouldnt do a thing. Of course i do not suggest you try it.

andy

The AC or DC argument goes back to the very first days of electrical power, when Westinghouse (DC) and Edison (AC) were fighting over their respective systems. Both tried to prove the others was more dangerous, and electrocuted animals on the streets in demonstration.

Edison probably won the argument?, (certainly the advantages of AC eventually took over completely), perhaps because as a further 'proof' he convinced new York State to build the first electric chair - which he powered from Westinghouse DC generators!.

As for this particular argument?, I would sugest the 40mA probably applies to BOTH - with 40mA RMS AC having exactly the same amount of power as 40mA DC.

andy257 said:
You could in theory dangle from a 1000A supply line @ 1V and it wouldnt do a thing. Of course i do not suggest you try it.

andy

Not only in theory, but in real life as well. Are you afraid of touching a big 12V 200AH battery with your hand?

andy257 said:
of course neither of those values would harm you if there isnt sufficient voltage to push it through your body. You could in theory dangle from a 1000A supply line @ 1V and it wouldnt do a thing. Of course i do not suggest you try it.

andy

not really since 1000A flowing through the supply line is going to get very hot!!!!!! you would not be able to hold it

Styx said:
andy257 said:

andy

not really since 1000A flowing through the supply line is going to get very hot!!!!!! you would not be able to hold it

wear your mittens! :)

or get ahold of a 1000A line that is on a really thick conductor (low R loss, low heat)

A line carrying 1000A is like a highway with a thousand big trucks.
Are you injured if you stand beside the highway? (if the trucks stay on the road)

If the line carried 100,000V, it is like the highway with high-speed trains on it instead of trucks. Their air disturbance (voltage) would knock you down.
Mittens wouldn't help much. :lol:

waheeda said:
hii friends
thanks for the replies but u did.nt get what i mean. i was saying that is the 40 m amp current is AC or it DC tell which one of that is?
i know that 20m amp is enough to shock but the question is which current is it DC or AC ?
plz friends im waiting thanks

To specifically address your question, 20mA AC is high enough that it can kill if it flows through your heart or brain.

20 mA DC is high enough to kill if it flows through your heart or brain.

is 20ma AC or DC dangerous? It depends on where it flows and if the voltage is high enough to cause that to flow. You have to understand how & where the 20mA comes about to determine if it is safe. 5V logic circuits commonly generate much more than 20mA but nobody is afraid of working with them because 5V is just not high enough to cause current to flow through an area of your body that can harm/kill you.

Nigel, Thomas Edison was the DC man who "proved" how dangerous AC was when he pointed out that the electric chair at Sing Sing prison was powered by AC. It was George Westinghouse who, with Nikola Tesla, built the first hydroelectric AC generator (3-phase) at Niagra Falls. That plant supplied far more power than was currently being used in the entire northeastern part of the U.S. Tesla had worked for Edison for a very short period of time and didn't much like Tom's hit-and-miss method of invention preferring a more analytical (sometimes read "anal") engineering approach.

Dean

Dean Huster said:
Nigel, Thomas Edison was the DC man who "proved" how dangerous AC was when he pointed out that the electric chair at Sing Sing prison was powered by AC. It was George Westinghouse who, with Nikola Tesla, built the first hydroelectric AC generator (3-phase) at Niagra Falls. That plant supplied far more power than was currently being used in the entire northeastern part of the U.S. Tesla had worked for Edison for a very short period of time and didn't much like Tom's hit-and-miss method of invention preferring a more analytical (sometimes read "anal") engineering approach.

Sorry, got my AC and DC the wrong way round :lol:

Joel: - how come you know they are blue? (assuming they are blue?).

I saw them on many TV ads. Their actor has a huge smile on his face. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back