Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Huge problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzak

Well here is our problem. We have a security camera that draws 12v @1.83 amps. We have shore power that is coming into the secuity center and it will also be backed up by a battery bank that is recharged by solar panels.

We use a Ac/ Dc transformer for usable power from shore. The Battery side is good. NOW The problem, where can I find an Automatic Transfer switch that is Dc/Dc and out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Every transfer switch I have found is Ac / AC

Is the battery normally charged by the DC supply?

The chances are you can just connect it directly to the output, if not then use a couple of diodes.

**broken link removed**

The battery is normally charged by the solar DC supply. The shore power 220 AC, is run through the transformer and to the cameras. I love the idea of just using two diodes and letting the electric chose its own path. Or should we just link it all together at the battery after charge controllers? That way the shore power is always charging the batteries. Even though it seems like overkill it may be the easiest solution. Thank you so much for your time and Diagram.

I don't see why you can't just directly connec the shore power to the batteries and allow them to charge.

The only problem is the shore power supply might be damaged if connected to the batteries when the mains is down or if the by the huge current that the batteries would draw if they were very discharged when the mains supply is restored. It think you need more information about the 12VDC power supply, perhaps you could talk to the manufacturer.

There's no such thing as a DC transformer transformers only convert AC to AC. It's either a switching power supply or a transformer with a rectifier and filrer capacitor to convert it to DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back