Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hp server smps as a bench supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
We've all seen the vids on how to convert a pc supply to a bench supply, I've done that one allready.
I have a smps for a hp g2 server, it does 12v at over a 100a, this would be great as a general bench psu for my solder irons, radio gear etc.
Allthough there is some info on dell ones, anyone know a link that shows you how to get one of these to power up?, dell ones have an enable, a power up signal, and a fan quiet mode command, this hp probably has similar i/p's.

Typical, found it straight away after posting, here for anyone else wanting to do this:

Attachments

• DS1300-3 Series.pdf
    320.8 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
WOW! Thats stick welder current! Awesome! And if its a freebie then its even better. ;)

Al

Wasnt free, but it was on a beer budget!

Same geyser has some over double the size.

Hmm, used to have a mate who supplied and installed computers to schools and colleges, I wonder if he still does?

Have to try and get one of these. :)

PS I wonder if it would do spot welds?

Al

It has 2 levels of current limit, so much for 1.5 secs, and so much for instant shutdown, you'd have to mod the regulation circuit to regulate current instead of voltage, for spotting you need 1000a, industrial ones like a british federal operate at about 5v 5000a.

Its not difficult to build an offline smps for spot welding, I havent done that but I did put togther a smps for the mrs's pyrography pen, it doesnt have a smoothing cap on the i/p or o/p, no bridge on the o/p, the secondary of the trans goes through a choke to remove most of the rf then straight to the tip, I dont see why this wouldnt work as a spotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back