Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP PAVILLION DV 6500 - Runs on bat, Dosent't Charge or run on wall plug - Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X3msnake

Greetings

Have a HP Pavvilion that is having a strange issue.

It runs fine on a full battery, but, when plugged to the wall brick it dosen't charge and it dosen't run on power only if we remove the battery.

Some component is probably dead or has defect and is not letting the current trough.

Problem is I don't have access to the circuit blueprints, and even if I had i'd probably couldn't find the fault without help anyways.

- I tore apart the laptop, hoping to see some visually fried component that could had result from a reverse polarity plug or some current spike, but had no luck with that.

- I used a multimeter to check if the problem with the power could be in the power board, but the power is reaching the pin connector with the 18.40 volts, the same voltage that is measured just outside the wall brick. So I'm guessing that the problem isn't there.

Could you hand me a helping hand in troubleshooting this?

I took a couple of photos from the circuits near the power plug on the mainboard, hoping someone with more experience can help me spot the probable cause of this issue.

**broken link removed** **broken link removed** **broken link removed**

Best Regards
Vinicius Silva

Last edited:
I'd guess the fault is in the battery-monitoring/controlling circuitry inside the battery. Can you borrow a similar type known good battery to try?

It is not the Battery's Fault

I have another HP that has a dead Screen and the Bat charged there and powered the laptop for it's due cycle...

The Laptop should work with the power cable connected and no battery and this does not happen, I'm guessing that this is something related to some microswitch, but I don't know which might be responsible for this.

I'm assuming that any guilty party for this case should be near the Power entry on the board could somethin like the rectifier SS34 or the S1040 that appear to be the ones on image 2 near the Battery conector, do something like this?

I'm guessing that this is something related to some microswitch
Can't see any microswitch in your pics.

I had one of these.... the power lead itself was at fault.... This laptop, I believe, the power light is around the plug.. I checked the voltage at the plug end and found the earth wire disconnected... I just bought a new plug and it was ok.... I mention this as when I did a web scan for the fault, there was a number of these faults around..

May not be the case in this instead.

The first place to look is the charger output while flexing the leads. Now what can happen is you can be "fooled" into thinking things are OK. Suppose only one strand is connected. You will read the right voltage, but the adapter won't work.

you will then need to test the adapter under load. A couple of 12 V lamps in series would work.

One of the other likely post in the power in connector and that's why a lot of PC's use a separate board for this. Since you have it open, you can check for power whill wiggling the plug.

Used parts may be available here : www.pchub.com which I have used.

I have another HP that has a dead Screen and the Bat charged there and powered the laptop for it's due cycle...

If you have another HP I am assuming you ruled out the battery and power adapter?
If your battery fits both laptops you must have pretty much two of the same model?

Simplest solution would be to swap the hard drive and LCD.

Mike

Last edited:
The first place to look is the charger output while flexing the leads. Now what can happen is you can be "fooled" into thinking things are OK. Suppose only one strand is connected. You will read the right voltage, but the adapter won't work.

you will then need to test the adapter under load. A couple of 12 V lamps in series would work.

One of the other likely post in the power in connector and that's why a lot of PC's use a separate board for this. Since you have it open, you can check for power whill wiggling the plug.

Used parts may be available here : www.pchub.com which I have used.

The plug is not the fault, since as you can check on the pictures I can mesure the 18v where the power board meets the Motherboard, and I tried it with another charger also :|

Any of the parts I mentioned could be the culprit of this situation? If there is a chance it are, it would probably be cheaper just to buy and replace those comps and see what happens.

If you have another HP I am assuming you ruled out the battery and power adapter?
If your battery fits both laptops you must have pretty much two of the same model?

Simplest solution would be to swap the hard drive and LCD.

Mike

The problem on the other Laptop is not the LCD is the Black Screen of Death that happens alot in those models, The only solution to a BSD wuld be reballing the NVIDIA Chip wich is expensive and time consuming.

What about those rectifiers? Could it be a reason?
It obviously could be. But so could many other components, e.g. any IC which controls mains power/battery switching :(. Have you done a diode check with a DMM?
Without a schematic of the power section it's total guesswork as to where the fault might lie.

It obviously could be. But so could many other components, e.g. any IC which controls mains power/battery switching :(. Have you done a diode check with a DMM?
Without a schematic of the power section it's total guesswork as to where the fault might lie.

someone told me that it could be a part named +17G or +1IG I think, can't find info on this part anywere.

I think the diagram is this one;

16_1271265515.jpg

I think there is a part missing from the board that maybe the reason for not powering up.

Been looking on the net and found the same MOBO that has a component that is missing in mine, don't know how I can Identify it tho :\

My Board
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Other Board
2196392.jpg

Last edited:
On the post #11 schematic I see 'modify' in the circled area, so perhaps there isn't any part missing.
Can you check if the 'ACOK IN' signal is being provided correctly? The gate of FET PQ61 apparently should go high, and the gate of PQ64 should go low, if ACOK goes high (you have the PQ61 gate marked at 0V).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back