Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP 1740A Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigHeaded

I have a HP1740A Oscilloscope that does not display a signal. I took the cover off and I do not have a glow in the CRT. Before I spend money on a replacement CRT I would like to know if that is the problem. There are several wires that connect to the back, the top and the side of the CRT, but I do not have a service manual to tell me what they should read. Does anyone here know? I will be getting a service manual, but I wanted to order a CRT at the same time, if it is the problem.

Thanks,

Sean

PigHeaded said:
I have a HP1740A Oscilloscope that does not display a signal. I took the cover off and I do not have a glow in the CRT. Before I spend money on a replacement CRT I would like to know if that is the problem. There are several wires that connect to the back, the top and the side of the CRT, but I do not have a service manual to tell me what they should read. Does anyone here know? I will be getting a service manual, but I wanted to order a CRT at the same time, if it is the problem.

I would have thought it's EXTREMELY unlikely to be the CRT, more likely the power supply is faulty!. It's a very trival job to check the CRT for such a potential fault - it can only be caused by the CRT heater being O/C - which you can test with an ohm-meter.

I also expect you would be astonished at how expensive a replacement CRT would be!.

Thanks for the quick response. Do you know which lines are for the heater? I have not been able to find a pin layout for the CRT online.

Thanks,

Sean

PigHeaded said:
Thanks for the quick response. Do you know which lines are for the heater? I have not been able to find a pin layout for the CRT online.

Sorry, but I've no idea - but it should be fairly easy to work it out, for a start they will be the only two that read a low resistance.

I have a 1740A and a Service Manual. But I am not at home at the moment.

In what country do you reside?

Hello ljcox,

I live in the united states. I would love to get a copy of the service manual!

Also note that I checked out the pins and found that the heater is receiving 6.3 volts. I than pulled the connector off the crt and found that the heater pins are open. So the crt is bad. Now I have to find a cheap crt. Thanks for helping me find this information out.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back