Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

howdy. im a newb. just got a simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enviro

Im new to this game want to know something simple. besides being an avid learner of anything im interested in a like to spend my time coding (computer programming, not sure how many here know the term) i have the idea of building a device, anykind, and buidling into it my own OS for it maybe in a language like C. i would just be able to load something like a game i coded myself or some other program like that. would it be possible to do that. and oh yeah im thinking of a simple dot matrix screen (that will most likely be ripped off my old gameboy) would my program have to be coded specifically for the limited capabilities of the screen. Im thinking it would have to be. The basic idea is a handheld device (like a gameboy) thats been hacked and mutilated to my desire. :D i hope thats specific enough.

I'd have to say that your idea is possible, although it isn't as simple as it may seem.

A common approach to involve electronics and coding is to use a microcontroller (PIC, AVR, Stamp etc.) and create a program that will code the microcontroller to perform a specific task.

If you're up on Assembly Language, then you have a HUGE start to programming microcontrollers. Nevertheless, there are compilers that you can use to program in C, Basic and probably some other languages as well.

I suppose the first start here is to read up on microcontrollers (a lot of people stick to the PIC microcontrollers by Microchip. Although, the recent trend is in AVR microcontrollers) Then build/purchase a microcontroller programmer, and obtain software as a compiler / assembler.

I'd say learning the microcontroller works and programming the controller to provide a practical output involves some study.

:) yeah, ok, ok, that sounds good to me. i havent found much on assembly language. im sure ill find something though. sometimes i just oversimplify. Thanks

Johnson777717 said:
I'd have to say that your idea is possible, although it isn't as simple as it may seem.

A common approach to involve electronics and coding is to use a microcontroller (PIC, AVR, Stamp etc.) and create a program that will code the microcontroller to perform a specific task.

If you're up on Assembly Language, then you have a HUGE start to programming microcontrollers. Nevertheless, there are compilers that you can use to program in C, Basic and probably some other languages as well.

I suppose the first start here is to read up on microcontrollers (a lot of people stick to the PIC microcontrollers by Microchip. Although, the recent trend is in AVR microcontrollers) Then build/purchase a microcontroller programmer, and obtain software as a compiler / assembler.

I'd say learning the microcontroller works and programming the controller to provide a practical output involves some study.

Basically, ha wants to build some kind of computer, a µController isn't the right choice for something like this...
he would be better off searching info about microprocessor designs

If you're planning ripping the screen off a gameboy, why not just use the gameboy in the first place?, it already does pretty well what you are trying to do. There are lots of information and downloadable data on gameboys.

Part of the fun of a project is desgning from scratch.

You probably should look at romless microcontrollers. These let you plug on your own memory - like a game cartridge - and execute instructions from it. There are a bunch of 8051's and Z80's(used in some old arcade systems like pac man). I'm not that familiar with motorola's lineup but I bet they have a bunch too. I would recommend learning about the controller of your choice on one with the memory built in. This will make your life much easier so you can figure out whats going on before you try attaching memory onto something.

Another possibility is Atmel's 8051 some of which will let you load code from an I2C EEPROM (that could go into a cartridge).

There's no reason to learn assembly right away. Just start off with C and though your code will probably be horribly inefficient it will still work and let you get started. You can then learn assembly as you go. If you're programming in C you really only need a general idea of what instructions are available so your can try to take advantage of them in your C code.

Rather than trying to get you old gameboy screen to work you should just buy a graphic LCD display with a built in controller. You should be able to get a nice one for less than $20.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back