Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How would you

Status
Not open for further replies.

keny

detect a golf ball going through a tube at the last hole in a putt putt course? (converting ball sunk to Logic 1 or vice versa for an MCU)

Last edited:
A lever microswitch or optointerrupter comes to mind. Not sure if this is a situation where you need to be concerned with cheating or not so just keep in mind neither sensor would be absolute. You could lessen the odds of miscounts by getting the sensor as far down and out of reach as possible.

... Not sure if this is a situation where you need to be concerned with cheating or not so just keep in mind neither sensor would be absolute. You could lessen the odds of miscounts by getting the sensor as far down and out of reach as possible.
Or by weighing the ball as it drops into the trap. A regulation ball's weight is tightly controlled.

ok, Thanks for the info, Now let's add the rube goldberg element, and say it was an example of what I am trying to do but I'm actually trying to do something else, that is really hard to explain. I need some way to non-mechanically detect the ball going through the tube... my closest attempts have been a laser tripwire circuit with a photoresistor but I don't really know how to get a logical 0 or 1 solution from that, and I don't like the "easily breakable", or alignment oriented nature of the laser... I would like to use a better, more consistent source of light than a laser, perhaps an IR circuit, but I am not sure how to go about that in an environment such as a tube.

For an optical sensor over a short distance, a laser isn't needed. An infrared LED and photo detector in any of the many circuits on the web would do the job.

You can make the beam as broad as you want, as long as you understand that the wider the sensor aperture will accept more stray light.

Not sure if I should go with a two part package or single LED / Sensor. I am a fan of keeping things simple... I'm thinking of trying an example in the literature I have that singles out an Optek OPB608a My real question is how to consistently go from that part to Logic 1 or 0. Is it just a matter of a couple pull up resistors and that's it? Anyone with experience with this part???

Thanks
keny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back