Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How would I..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hard way, takes an analog to digital converter circuit, a lcd display and several peripherial components, search vendors for the correct way-overpriced near unavailable parts in quantity-one and design the circuitry with their application notes.

The medium hard way, takes to buy this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92020
and dissassemble it completely, can discard the case, selector knob; jacks and not needed parts, this way you will have on hand ALL the necessary parts for your project, instantly at an unbeatable $5 price, then reassemble the needed circuit back; and wire it to the 5K potentiometer you want to read;

And the easy way, just connect the meter to the 5K potentiometer and read its value.

Miguel

You'll have to be a little more specific. What does the trim pot control? What will it be used for? I sense this is for a larger project than just reading the resistance of a pot, yes? If not, think of a more usefull project, and just by a DMM.

I like the medium hard way I have an old multi-meter I can tear into for the needed items.
I thank you for your input it has helped me out now for the project to begin.....lol

You'll have to be a little more specific. What does the trim pot control? What will it be used for? I sense this is for a larger project than just reading the resistance of a pot, yes? If not, think of a more usefull project, and just by a DMM.
No just want to have a LCD read out on the trim pot of my Power-Sync it will be less hassle than holding the leads from the meter for me is all.

Just to clear something up: If your "power-sync" is also using the 5k trimpot then your ohmmeter won't read it correctly if at all. Where in the circuit is the 5k pot? You could measure the voltage across the wiper and one of the legs, but forget about reading resistance in a powered circuit.

Just to clear something up: If your "power-sync" is also using the 5k trimpot then your ohmmeter won't read it correctly if at all. Where in the circuit is the 5k pot? You could measure the voltage across the wiper and one of the legs, but forget about reading resistance in a powered circuit.

That's a rule of thumb is it not?

An ohmmeter works by putting current though the resistor under test and measuring the voltage drop. If there is already a DC voltage across the resistor, the ohm reading will be in error. The ohmmeter will also induce a DC voltage into the circuit causing problems when it is in operation. You might get away with it if there is only AC on the trimpot and it is isolated by coupling capacitors. It depends on the circuit and the meter.

Last edited:
Can you measure the voltage on the trip pot for the same results?

I really do appreciate all the help and direction you all are giving me...if you's you cant tell by now Im a novice when it comes to these things and am trying to learn more about electronics and circuitry.

Thank you all very much for the guidence!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back