Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How would I make one of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramos96

Hi all,

I recently was lucky enough to get a Blacktooth laser cutter/engraver, the laser output strength is controlled via a potentiometer that outputs 0-5 volts, I would like to swap out the pot to a digital type control where I can set the output more accurately and also display it, what is the best way I can accomplish this.

Humbly,
Roo

determine needed resolution and use digital control (like MCU) with analog output.

You could use the smoothed/filtered PWM output from an MCU which also drives an LCD display.

Use a 10 turn pot with a turns counting dial.
Or more simply (and cheaply) just a 10-turn pot with a multimeter/voltmeter connected to the output.

This doesn't address the requirement of digital control, but it is more accurate than a single-turn pot.

Well, the turns-counting dial is indeed digital (3 numbers). I would bet that repeatability would be more important.

It's a lot easier to set a dial to 500 than a meter to 2.50 Volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back