Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How works a Binary up/down counter 4-bit presettable(IC SN 74 LS 191)

Status
Not open for further replies.
its a programmable binary coded decimal up down counter. it is used in clocks . but you can use it for a varierty of other things. the basic ifunction is its four flipflops shifting 1's and zeros aka counting. you connect ce to ground enanling the clock. connect cp to a clock puls or oscilator dealy q0 -q3 are your outputs . when pl goes low it loads the bcd number you put into p0 -p3. if u/d is high it counts up if its low it counds down. rc and tc have to do with using the chip as a ripple counter. look up ripple counters i for get what the importance of that is exactly. most of what i remember from school revolves around the 74293 which is what i built digital clocks with. but i useal all of these chips at one point or another.

for some reason i remember disliking this chip. i think in order to use it normally you have to have make it preset zeros or some dumb thing i forget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back