Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how useful is IEEE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

i bet there are members here who are also members of IEEE so since i am undecided to join it ,i wanted to ask how good it is?

It's as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

IIRC membership allows you access to many online IEEE documents like specs and such that non members must pay. This may have changed though.

IIRC membership allows you access to many online IEEE documents like specs and such that non members must pay. This may have changed though.

It hasn't changed. You'll pay around $100-150 for standard specs. I don't know how much the membership is, but it might be cost effective if you plan on utilizing a number of the documents you would have access to.

One of the places I worked for had a site license for the membership. The documents are useful when working on a spec based project, just things like IEEE-488 GPIB bus specs are but a few to mention. For Wond3 I suspect the cost/need may not be worth the expense. But good question though...

If you're near a tech lib you can get their pubs for free, and even Border's used to have "The Spectrum."

Pretty useless. If they started doing some serious (and actually effective) lobbying against the H1B abuses here I might give more of a damn about them.

IEEE is a good source of technical documents and standards. But it tends to be run by people who come from the management rank and are thus not much tuned to the needs of the working engineer. It is basically a technical and not a trade organization.

If you search hard enough you might be able to find a user name and password so you can log on for fre but I wouldn't recommend it. ;)

Here is the IEEE benefits site.

yeh they did tell us about their benefits(22) excluding the so called 'personal benefits' much like done on forums like queries and help.i think i will get a student membership for one year and see if it is useful if so i will continue it thanks for the replies.

yeh they did tell us about their benefits(22) excluding the so called 'personal benefits' much like done on forums like queries and help.i think i will get a student membership for one year and see if it is useful if so i will continue it thanks for the replies.
I am a retired EE. I was a member off and on (mostly off) for my 45 year career, and the only benefit I got was being allowed to subscribe to the Journal of Solid State Circuits, which interested me for a few years, and I probably learned a few things from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back