Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how use mosfet driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hertz.12

hi all
i have n-channel Mosfet irf540 and i want to use mosfet driver ic ir2101 to drive the Mosfet ...but i cant find the way to connect the driver to the mosfet.....pls any one help

The IR2101 has a high side driver and a low (ground) side driver. I don't know what you want to do.
Here is what I would do to drive one MOSFET what is connected to ground.
upload_2015-8-13_19-28-18.png

i want to drive one mosfet irf540...it is first time i work with drivers...

so is this connections right?

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-13_19-28-18.png
    upload_2015-8-13_19-28-18.png
    10 KB · Views: 980
Try this: Supply needs to be from 10 to 20 volts. The data input (LIN) can be 5V or 3.3V.
upload_2015-8-13_20-58-25.png

always put a resistor from gate to source of the fet , say 22k, because when testing you sometimes desolder the series resistor and forget you have done that, then when you accidentlay turn on, the mosfet gate gets enhanced on by noise and it turns on permanently and blow up your circuit.

yes it works now! thanks really......but i thought that the mosfet driver will step up the output voltage to fully open the gate! is there any mosfet driver that step up the supply voltage from 3.5 v to 12v to fully open 540 mosfet gate?

I am pretty sure there is no mosfet driver ic that internally steps up the voltage to drive a gate. We customers must provide the higher voltage for the fet driver to use.

If you want to step up the voltage than you can use a gate drive transformer, you could use such an item with the gate driver ron mentioned, you get step up and isolation with a gdt.

You can always use a logic level FET. These turn on with about 2V across them. If you really want to whack the FET on, remember to put a low ESR large ceramic cap next to the FET driver. That FET drive current has to come from somewhere and if you have long supply leads going to the driver, the supply line will bounce. A capacitor will provide a local energy store for the drive current

hi again
i tried the driver today but it didn't work!

here is my connections

Attachments

• 2112.jpg
    2112.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 966
I see something missing, you havent connected vdd, you need a logic supply as well as the o/p supply.
Dont forget good quality 100nf caps across the vdd and vcc to ground.

Hmm, dunno, these devices being very low impedance can be sensitive to supply issues.
You show a switch, theres no pullup or pulldown resistor, try switching to ground with a 1k pullup resistor to 5v, connecting a mechanical switch to the i/p of one of these thignsprobably isnt areal good idea, but it'll do to prove the chips working.

Hi,

did you connect pin 2 and pin 13 to same ground? I think they should.

Hi, good evening from Italy and compliments for your technical experience/answers

I am looking for H bridge circuit to drive (by PMW) my DC motor (10 Amp max at 24Vdc).

So, i found some circuits on the web. (i can put the link, if possible...) but i think is not important. Many circuits but very similar...

I built one circuit (full H bridge) using ir2101 drivers, but I have big doubts about how to drive the inputs of the two IR2101. Let me explain:

I can generate (by MCU microcontroller) the signal PWM or 2 PWM or 4 PWM. No problem about it.

Of course, if i can use only 1 PWM, will be better (already have a micro programmed !! ).

The frequency (PWM is 20 Khz), to avoid audible frequencies.

The PWM will be from 5 to 95 % duty (around...) to avoid problem with bootstrap.

The motor have to go in both directions (so i choose full bridge...).

Now the questions:

How i have to drive (and connect...) the inputs pin (HIN and LIN) of both IR2101?

The signals (coming from MCU) to HIN and LIN must do be in phase or in "phase opposition"?

Once understood this, they must to have "dead time" (between them....) or not? (if not, i can simply reverse the phase with logic port, e.g. 4096 or 40106).

Then, last question (just to understand better....sorry): Once understood how and in which mode drive the input port of IR2101, if i want drive the motor in one direction, i have to drive one IR2101 or both??

Can you (pls...) draw me simply a example??

Help me pls....is not easy understand this matter.

Thanks again for your help,

waiting for your kindly reply,

Pietro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back