Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to wire up a 3.5mm jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revans

Hey there,

I've got a 3.5mm cable with a male end which is being plugged into an amp and the other end needs to be wired up to a 3.5mm jack (this one: **broken link removed**)

I've stripped the end of the cable and there are three wires - red, white, and an uninsulated bunch - presumably left, right and ground. The 3.5mm socket has three terminals - also presumably left, right and ground.

Could someone please help me identify which wire will be wired to which terminal? Or alternatively a way to figure it out would be appreciated to. Thanks

Jaycar doesn't say what the jack is. It might be a stereo jack or it might be a switching mono jack.

Go to a half-decent parts distributor who has details on the parts it sells.
Farnell distributes millions of electronic parts areound the world and in Down Under.

Hey guys don't worry I just remembered it was actually this socket here: **broken link removed** which is apparently stereo

Since the very cheap jack does not have a wiring diagram then buy a matching plug and measure the contacts with an ohm-meter.
Or trial and error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back