How to wire up a 3.5mm jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revans

Hey there,

I've got a 3.5mm cable with a male end which is being plugged into an amp and the other end needs to be wired up to a 3.5mm jack (this one: **broken link removed**)

I've stripped the end of the cable and there are three wires - red, white, and an uninsulated bunch - presumably left, right and ground. The 3.5mm socket has three terminals - also presumably left, right and ground.

Could someone please help me identify which wire will be wired to which terminal? Or alternatively a way to figure it out would be appreciated to. Thanks

Jaycar doesn't say what the jack is. It might be a stereo jack or it might be a switching mono jack.

Go to a half-decent parts distributor who has details on the parts it sells.
Farnell distributes millions of electronic parts areound the world and in Down Under.

Hey guys don't worry I just remembered it was actually this socket here: **broken link removed** which is apparently stereo

Since the very cheap jack does not have a wiring diagram then buy a matching plug and measure the contacts with an ohm-meter.
Or trial and error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…