Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use homemade antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipertiper

I've did some research on homemade antennas. I've got a design up for a helium balloon, A weather one. And im wondering how I could get information from my antenna. And any tips on weather balloons? I know I'll probably loose it, But at least I get data from it. Anyone know how to get information from antennas and know how to read them?

And any help is great, Thanks.

Sorry for posting again, But whats a high gain antenna for weather balloon incase you guys tell me to use a store antenna...

I was planning something like this guy

Last edited by a moderator:
The "puck" antenna shown in the video is a GPS receive antenna so that the balloon payload knows where it is. There is nothing in the video that shows what sends telemetry from the balloon to earth...

I belong to a group that has launched hundreds of high-altitude balloons (Arizona Near Space Research). We use Ham radio for downlink telemetry (including GPS derived Lat/Lon) to facilitate recovery. Our telemetry is on 144MHz or 440MHz.

The "puck" antenna shown in the video is a GPS receive antenna so that the balloon payload knows where it is. There is nothing in the video that shows what sends telemetry from the balloon to earth...

I belong to a group that has launched hundreds of high-altitude balloons (Arizona Near Space Research). We use Ham radio for downlink telemetry (including GPS derived Lat/Lon) to facilitate recovery. Our telemetry is on 144MHz or 440MHz.
Well how did they know that the balloon popped? It sounded like morse code when it popped. Im still confused on how they could know when the balloon popped. And what software was they using?

@MikeMI

Since the balloon will almost certainly enter controlled airspace, do you need to get any authorization from the FAA and file a NOTAM? It's been more than 20 years since I was at all current and a lot has happened in that period.

John

@MikeMI

Since the balloon will almost certainly enter controlled airspace, do you need to get any authorization from the FAA and file a NOTAM? It's been more than 20 years since I was at all current and a lot has happened in that period.

John

Yes, all of our launches are coordinated with the FAA (Albuquerque Center) and NOTAMs are issued days in advance. I fly my airplane during flights to aid in payload recovery, and hear Albuquerque Center directing high flying aircraft away from our payloads. Albuquerque Center even watch the progress of our flights on www.aprs.fi.

I wonder how long it will be before some idiot launches an uncoordinated balloon that gets ingested into the engine of a passenger airliner. Hope he or she has a lot of personal liability insurance...

I wonder how long it will be before some idiot launches an uncoordinated balloon that gets ingested into the engine of a passenger airliner. Hope he or she has a lot of personal liability insurance...
Birds do not have insurance and they get ingested frequently. The Hudson Glider caused no deaths from its landing in the river when both engines ingested birds.
I have never seen a passenger airliner with only a single engine and they all can fly pretty well with one engine not working.

I have never seen a passenger airliner with only a single engine and they all can fly pretty well with one engine not working.

Have you ever priced a **broken link removed**?

Then, why do intelligent people waste money on installing the second engine? :rolleyes:

Your comment is a silly argument to downplay the significance of foolishly interfering with the safety of our airways.

John

Edit: BTW, the Cessna Caravan is one of several single-engine aircraft used for airline passengers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_208_Caravan

Last edited:
Then, why do intelligent people waste money on installing the second engine? :rolleyes:
Sometimes engines fail. If there are two or more engines then the airplane continues flying instead of crashing.

Edit: BTW, the Cessna Caravan is one of several single-engine aircraft used for airline passengers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_208_Caravan
Look in Google for Cessna Caravan Engine Failure and see a whole page of videos of lucky safe landings (crashes are not shown).

But that was incredibly lucky, in that he managed to find a safe place to crash land - not easy in a large city :D

Unlucky that both engines failed. Lucky that they had a very skilled pilot.. Like you said.. not easy to crash land in a big city.. good pilot did it.

As we are now well off topic...

misterT is that avatar of yours one of the prison guards in the film Cool Hand Luke by any chance?

JimB

misterT is that avatar of yours one of the prison guards in the film Cool Hand Luke by any chance?

Spot on.. I like that you spotted that :) It is the "devil" itself. The same visual thing is used in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" That is a homage to "Cool Hand Luce".

No problem "I've got my mind right Boss".

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back