Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use Half-Bridge to control Bi-Directional Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willian

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post here so I hope not to brake any rule...:)

Well I have a simple question and even though I've looked for the answer everywhere I coudn't find it, so here I am hoping that someone can help me

I'm working on a project and our goal is to build a H-Bridge to control different actuators with operational current ranging from 4 amps to 10 amps. The challange is, we want to know if it's possible to use a Half-Bridge to do so

Because if it is possible, then we would be able to lessen our costs and still use power mosfets to control the motor in two directions.

Out main goal is to reduce costs, so that's why we are 'struggling' after this information.

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance!

Willian

I just recently built an airplane tug using a 1/4hp DC gearmotor. I used only a single half-bridge with a relay to reverse the motor. Schematic available upon request.

misterT, I am confused by the ground symbol on the lower opto-coupled gate driver. Shouldn't it be referenced to V-?

misterT, I am confused by the ground symbol on the lower opto-coupled gate driver. Shouldn't it be referenced to V-?

I found that picture using google. My intention was to find a good picture that shows the arrangement of the mosfets. That was the best picture I found.

Take a look at the pdf I also attached. It shows the context the picture is from.

Edit: Looks like the voltage for the gate drivers comes from a floating voltage source.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you very much for the information you gave me, I really appreciate it.

MikeMl, is it possible for you to post or send me your schematics?

Once again, thank you very much for the help

Willian

here is one with relay control,

Attachments

• demo.png
    demo.png
    2 KB · Views: 372
here is one with relay control,

Doggy, Not very useful because it needs two supplies, and cannot be shut off...

Here is the way to do it using a DPDT relay with only one supply. In this case, the upper half of the MG50N2YS1 half-bridge is used only as a snubber diode. The motor is controlled using PWM in both the forward and reverse direction. The relay reverses the motor.

Picture of the beast.

Attachments

• Mover.png
    Mover.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 717
  • Mowers 002.jpg
    Mowers 002.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 534
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips