Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use an opto-triac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepusey

Is this the correct way to use an opto-triac? (see attachment)

Attachments

• optotriac.gif
    optotriac.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 2,313
No, you use the opto triac in combination with a normal one...
like this

**broken link removed**

Exo said:
No, you use the opto triac in combination with a normal one...
like this

**broken link removed**

And why is that? I dont see any problem with my idea of how to use it.

because these 'opto-triacs' are actually only triac drivers, not real triacs...

what type of ic do you plan to use?

Exo said:
because these 'opto-triacs' are actually only triac drivers, not real triacs...

what type of ic do you plan to use?

Not sure yet. I was hoping to use a 6-pin chip holder and plug in a opto-triac if i want to switch AC or plug in a opto-isolator if i want to switch DC. Another option is to use a relay, but it must be silent. No click or clunk sound when switching.

Exo said:
try searching for solid state relays for PCB mounting

Yeah i was thinking of solid state relays but im not sure how they work. do u know any good web pages that explain how they work and how to use them?

only AC, but i assumed that's what you wanted to switch, because a triac also can only switch AC

Well i was hoping for a component that will do both. Anyway, what kind of component could i use to switch DC?

The only thing that will switch both AC and DC is a normal relay, as far as i know of.

To switch DC you use a transistor, fet,...
It depends on the application.

Anyway, the optotriac's max continous current is 60mA, so can switch about 10...13VA load directly. (small bulbs, solenoids etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back