Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to transfer file from PC to eeprom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
janetsmith2000@yahoo.com said:
Hi,
can anybody tells me how to transfer file from PC to eeprom? (via PIC)

Thanks!

With an EEPROM programmer, there are various ones you can download and build, and various software available. Try doing a search for 'ponyprog' which is a popular one, and 'ICProg' also programmes EEPROM's.

janetsmith2000@yahoo.com said:
I wonder, must I use eeprom programmer? Is there any other alternative, like using rs232?

You could use the serial port, or the parallel port, to interface to a programmer - you can't just connect directly to a chip. If you search for 'ponyprog' there are some very simple EEPROM programmer circuits you can build.

PonyProg can use the serial port or the parallel port, depending on the interface that you use. As for me, I use PonyProg with the so-called "STK200" dongle (the "dongle" is the "interface," it has a '244 and some other misc. parts on it) for the chips PonyProg supports. Problem is, for me, it doesn't support many of the ones I like to use, esp. with higher densities. That's why I built my own. It transfers binary files using a terminal program using XModem/CRC Protocol. Next week I'm going to start on a DataFlash programmer using the same scheme, unless one of ya'll knows of an existing programmer for PC->DataFlash.

j.

If your PIC can write to the EEPROM you can send your EEPROM data through RS232 and have the PIC write it to the EEPROM. What sort of file do you need to save? is it calibration data? Text? Hyperterminal will let you send files through RS232.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back