Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to test TSOP 1738

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newark is shipping it. Requires some Export control docs though. Trinidad is part of the UK Commonwealth.

Installed the TSSP and 'calibrated' the IR TX LEDS with a 500 ohm pot to get a useful 1' worth of reflected triggering. Should capture folks passing thru a 32" door ok.
I think I can get the TSOP version to work but the 'calibration' would be the gap between the .5mSec, 38Khz modulated pulses. I tried with no gap....range was like 4" or so. An 8ms gap and it was hypersensitive to all kinds of distant reflections. So somewhere inside there is a balance. I may fool around with it if I get some time. Looks like the calibration will have to be pushbutton based or via a pot/adc combo to alter the pulse gaps via the uC. Of course, once the TSOP doesn't see a pulse it goes super sensitive. That prob. means I'd have to feed it a 'calibration' pulse every couple ms to keep it from going hypersensitive. That requires an additional TX LED to throttle the rcvr.

When a TSOP IR receiver IC has the proper 38kHz burst times and gap times between bursts then it has maximum sensitivity so it can perform its function of remote control. Then of course it is "super sensitive".
It is not designed to detect reflected IR then shadows caused by people going through a doorway.

Good luck trying to make it do a function it is not supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back