Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test at ignition module

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I friend has a Mitsubishi ignition for a Cushman turf truck (3 cylinder motor) and someone told him it was bad.

It has COIL B+ P- P+

Does anyone know of a simple way to test it. The part is not cheap and very hard to find. It was a J153 part number.

Thanks..

If it's in a relatively dark area, pull the spark plug, reattach the lead, and place if firmly afainst the cylinder head. When you crank the motor, you should be able to see the spark jump the electrode gap.

This also gives you the chance to examine the plug for deposits that might have bridged the gap, and to see damage to the high voltage lead.

Be careful with simply using a spark plug placed to electrical ground. If the plug were to not make contact with ground, some ignition modules will burn out. Many hi-energy ignitions HEI, are susceptible that way. You should use an in-line spark tester that simply leaves the spark plug in the block and illuminates a lamp for each firing cycle, indicating a spark. Same procedure for checking the output of the ignition coil.

Thanks for all the input. I tried the plug on ground. I have 12V with key on (at the coil), and when the starter is running, no voltage at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back