Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to test a potentiometer for quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fahime

Hi,
I'm going to produce some light dimmers. I have several potentiometers fro different companies. I want to choose the one with the best quality. I don't know how to test them to find the best one. Please give me a method for testing the quality.

This is a potentiometer for a triac light dimmer right? You're not just going to try and burn off extra power using the potentiometer? If you are, the potentiometer almost certainly can't handle the heat.

If you are using it in a triac light dimmer, why just not make it so you can swap them out...if you were going to test them all it means you already have them all anyways...THey dont' need to be all that high quality either. If they're inaccurate but controlled by a human, the human won't care- they'll just adjust it until it's the brightness they want and not notice a thing. And how often do people adjust the light anyways? I could adjust the light 50 times a day and a crappy 10k turn potentiometer would still last 2/3 of a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back