Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Test 2N3055

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'mClueless

Hello,

I purchased some 2N3055 transistors through eBay today and they were manufactured in India by Continental Device India Limited. It will be awhile before I will have all of the components to build the target project so I would like to know how to test the 2N3055 transistors. This is my first experience with transistors.

Yep,
I'mClueless

I'm sure the real smarty pants will have plenty of corrections for me, but when I was a young skinny person, I built a 70 volt DC supply and added a 68 ohm resistor, a switch, a 1k resistor, and an amp meter. I used alligator clips to connect each transistor up in the correct polarity at the collector and emitter with a 1k resistor from base to emitter. Turned on the 70 volts, and some of them shorted right there. Then I pressed the switch to allow 1 amp into the base, saw the meter show current flow, and let off the connection. If the transistor stopped, I called it good. Forty percent of the Mexican counterfiets failed. Then we built over a hundred multi- transistor power supplys. In the first year, 2 came back. One had a bad regulator chip and one had somebody stick a screwdriver in it and break the trim pot. The rest kept working and I never saw them again.

(Data sheet) Connected like this, the lamp should be off with the switch open, and fully on with the switch closed. The battery needs to supply ~2A. This is a basic test of the ability to stand off 12V when off, and switch 2A with a ~min Hfe of about 20.

Attachments

• 3055test.png
    3055test.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 11,230
The transistors that are made in India might be fakes. Since you bought them on E-Bay then they are probably "seconds" that do not meet spec's anyway.

I would have bought American transistors from a reputable distributor like Digikey.

Yes, that is why I want to test them right away.
Is it worth the hassle of testing many spec's of the transistors?

I bought thousands of transistors and opamps made by American maufacturers from Digikey. They are honourable so every one worked perfectly without me testing them. But I tested every one of my finished products because a capacitor was shorted and an IC was inserted backwards.

audioguru,

Is it worth the hassle of testing many spec's of the transistors?

Well the answer to your question is NO

Perhaps a better question would have been whether or not I'm qualified to verify all of the spec's

The answer is still NO.

I have contacted six other buyers and five have replied stating that the transistors were good.

Do I have knowledge of their credentials?

The answer is still NO.

Would I buy more of the transistors?

The answer is still NO.

Have I missed anything?

Yep,
I'mClueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back