Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to switch a relay from a low voltage AC source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtpepperaut

hi there,

i am currently working on a project that involves a cellphone that puts out ~1.3 volts AC signal to the speaker/vibrator. I am trying to switch a 12 Volt standard automotive relay with whenever that vibrator/speaker goes off (ie when the phone gets called)

wondering if anyone has any info on what hardware to use to make this possible.

I was reading about transistors and MOSFET amplifiers but i am not quite sure that i can simply hook the ac source up to the base and have 12 volts at the collector putting out 12 volts at the emitter.

Any info is appreciated! thx

Are you sure that it's 1.3VAC?
The few cellphone vibrators I've seen were just DC motors with an unbalanced shaft.
It makes most sense that it would run from the battery voltage.

Well it's doable but you'll need another power supply.

hey. yes i was surprised as well! the IHF speaker and vibrator are a single piece and have two contact coming from the board. That source was definitely AC! ...for the speaker that would make most sense :)

i attached a pdf. checkout page 9 with the earpice/vibrator in one part. (i did not see any switching/regulating components in the earpiece by itself. not sure how its done.

Attachments

• 1661_RH-121_122_SM_Level_1&2_v1 0.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 449
its going in my car where i have 12 VDC (car) and 5 VDC (USB power of the computer) readily available if that helps?

Last edited:
What frequency is the AC?

Here's an idea.

Attachments

• AC relay amp.PNG
    AC relay amp.PNG
    717 bytes · Views: 205
dont have an oscilloscope here but my best guess would be <50Hz for the vibrator (carrying the most power?) and > 400Hz for the audio part of the signal.

ok so you rectify the ac source. feed that into the base which draws current from the emitter allowing the relay circuit to run current and thus close the relay?

why is there a diode after the relay going back to the front?
is there a way with less components? all i really need is the relay to close once) for example without rectifying it?

Last edited:
Hero's suggestion is a good suggestion and should work using a minimum number of parts. The diode across the relay is to surpress the back EMF inductive kick off the relay coil when the coil is de energized.. Nice little circuit.

Ron

Many automobile relays take 150 to 200mA, thus the transistor may not have enough base drive to close the relay with a 1kΩ base resistor from perhaps 2.6VDC. The base resistor should be more like 100Ω with the capacitor increased to 1000µF.

Then you need to add another transistor.

Attachments

• AC relay amp.PNG
    AC relay amp.PNG
    802 bytes · Views: 182
NEVERMIND read next post! ok. i set up the circuit and the relay engages. However when the AC source is OFF the relay stays connected until i break teh connection.

i am using a 100 ohm resistor and a 1000µF capacitor

any suggestions what im doing wrong? or why this not working?

please don't laugh at the set up i had no breadboard haha ;)

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
NERVERMIND had the transistor hooked up the wrong way around MEH!!!

THANKS GUYS!!! works like a charm....!

15 dollar prepaid phone +6 dollar in parts = TRULY REMOTE CAR STARTER HEHE :)

How are you going to use this to remote start you car? You need to turn on the ignition, press the starter, and then detect when the engine starts to release the starter.

Last edited:
Good, I'm glad you've got it working, it looks like one transistor was fine after all.

It looks like you increased the capacitor to 1000µF, did you reduce the base resistor to 100R too?

My only concern would've been the 1µF capacitor not being large enough to couple the low frequency signal but it was obvious unfounded.

Are you going to now put it on a PCB or stripboard?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back