Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to switch a 12v line through a FET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rexlan

I need to control the +12v supply line to a flasher unit. I prefer to not use a relay and would like to use a FET if that is possible.

I would like to make an intervalometer using a 556 chip that is started by a manual switch that will go to ground when activated. Then when it times out I want to cut the +12v line to the flasher unit.

I don't know what or how to wire the FET. I have some N channel ones here with very high current ratings. The load is about 3.5 amps @ 12vdc.

Thanks

If you need to switch the high-side of your load, use a PFET. If you can switch the low-side of your load, then use your NFET.

If you need to switch the high-side of your load, use a PFET. If you can switch the low-side of your load, then use your NFET.

OK ... not sure how it goes. I will control the gate with the 556. Who gets the +12v and who gets the load?
Any recommendation on a part number? I will probably run the 556 from an 8v regulator.

Thanks Mike BTW the camera audio thing works great!

Last edited:
Switching the high-side of a 12V 3A load with a ground-referenced low-level signal requires an interface buffer. Look at the attached.

Switching the low-side can be done with a "logic-level" NFET.

Attachments

• HighSideSw.png
    HighSideSw.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 207
  • LowSideSw.png
    LowSideSw.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back