Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to supply 5V/2A power in a 12V car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danci1973

Hi,

I need to power a 5V device consuming up to 2A of current on a motorcycle (12V battery). I tried using a simple 7805 regulator, but the heat generated is just too much for the confined space under the seat - the plastic has started to melt. :(

So I figure I need some more efficient way of getting the 5V - enter DC/DC switched converters... Unfortunately my knowledge in electronics is limited to very basics, so I need some already worked-out solution with as little 'special' parts as possible - I mean the coils and transformers - these are always a pain to get or make...

So, to sum it up:

Input: 12V (13.8V)
Output: 5V / 2A (and as little heat as possible) :)

Thanks, D.

Last edited:
If you just want to solve the problem then you should be able to buy a module that meets your needs. It might be expensive however.

If you want to build one then I suggest you download a copy of LTSpice/Switcher CAD III. Enter your requirements, and voila a schematic appears that you can use to simulate the circuit. After you succeed with your first DC/DC converter you will gain the confidence to use other chips.

also some other choices for ya, texas inst also has free design tools:

http://power.ti.com

and national semiconductor has a product called web bench that'll design and simulate:

**broken link removed**

national has a "simple switcher" product line that requires two or three low cost external components

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back