Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to send SMS message from transmitter circuit to cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omar

I'm currently doing a project about Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). The system needs to give an alert to a driver about his under-inflated vehicle tire via SMS message. Does anyone has an experience of doing this project? How can I realize the idea of this system?

You need a micro-controller and a GSM modem.

But as the driver is presumably IN the vehicle, why on earth would you want to text message him about it? - not to mention, it's illegal to use a phone in a car in many countries.

I'm currently in the process of using a GSM module for telemetry purposes in my latest project. I used the GSM900 from RF Solutions:

https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/GSM_Modules.html

The major downside to this module (from a hobbyist's perspective) is that it uses a very fine pitch connector so you can pretty much forget prototyping your own PCB with it. But if you're going to get your PCBs manufactured (and just hack onto it during test/dev period) then obviously it's fine.

From an implementation point of view, the module accepts commands and sends its data over an RS232 bus so pretty simple to interface with. The manuals are a bit lacking of specifics in certain areas though - I think it could use an English translation of the English translation.

Brian H

Last edited:
I'm currently in the process of using a GSM module for telemetry purposes in my latest project. I used the GSM900 from RF Solutions:

https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/GSM_Modules.html

The major downside to this module (from a hobbyist's perspective) is that it uses a very fine pitch connector so you can pretty much forget prototyping your own PCB with it. But if you're going to get your PCBs manufactured (and just hack onto it during test/dev period) then obviously it's fine.

We're using a GSM modem chip, which avoids the connector problem - the WISM2018 - it's also cheaper, which is important for our application.

@NG,

Thanks for the chip reference, I'm due a re-spin of the PCB for my project so that could be worth a look.

Brian H

Last edited:
Sorry, a little dyslexia there :D

The number is actually WISM0218 - and here's the datasheet for it.

Attachments

• AirPrime_WISMO218_Product_Technical_Specification_and_Customer_Design_Guidelines_r6.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 806
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back