Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to safely store Chips ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

Some of the chips that a bought were sold on black rubbery stuff, some on white foam that had al-foil on it, and some came on nothing.
Are they safe in clear plastic bags?

so, what are the rules for buying, transporting and storing Chips ?

Attachments

• jkjhkjkjdfjhfkdsjfdskjfhdhfjdhkjshkfdgffdgfgfggffffffffffffffgfgfgfgfg.gif
    jkjhkjkjdfjhfkdsjfdskjfhdhfjdhkjshkfdgffdgfgfggffffffffffffffgfgfgfgfg.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 286
Static charges and CMOS

Storage methods need to be chosen to suit the product you wish to store.
If the IC was supplied in conductive foam (usually black, spongelike) or aluminium foil then the supplier thought it worth the hassle.

All 4000 series ICs should be protected from static discharges, some others also are sensitive to static, the datasheet should say.
LCD modules, some operational amps and most microprocessor chips require protection.
7400 series (if you ever use them) all generally have a low enough impedance to simply 'short out' the static discharge with no damage, though some types such as 74AC00 and 74HC00 still require protection.

The easy answer is to leave everything in the original packaging as long as possible and handle everything as little as possible.
DONT just sling things in a plastic bag - static damage is permanent and unpredictable; it may not show straight away - your latest project could work for ages with the damage then fail for no aparrent reason!

I didn't know it talks about it in the data sheet.
thanks.
Most of the stuff I buy is not protected at all.
You would think that shops would pretect the items they sell.

Screech said:
I didn't know it talks about it in the data sheet.
thanks.
Most of the stuff I buy is not protected at all.
You would think that shops would pretect the items they sell.

By the same reasoning, do you take static precautions when handling or fitting your components? - for anything static sensitive you are supposed to wear an earthed (high resistance) wrist band, and work on an earthed work station, plus make sure your soldering iron is static save.

Often sensitive parts do come in suitable packaging, many suppliers send all chips out packed like that - in order to make sure.

But basically most chips aren't a problem. it's mainly CMOS ones which have potential problems.

Quote>By the same reasoning, do you take static precautions when handling or fitting your components?

No, I don't. I have thought about it, but don't know how to.

I didn't know about 4000 series chips being static sensitive.
The 4000 series chips were not even protected in the shop when I purchased them. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back