Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to route a VHDCI connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1tch37

Hi,

I am trying to design a prototype pcb with a VHDCI connector on it: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/06/71046.pdf

I have designed the footprint and confirmed it accurate, but my issue is how I can possibly connect all the traces; the thing is so small!

My PCB fab has minimum trace width of 6mil and minimum clearance of 6mil, but with these restrictions I feel I have no hope routing all the pins. This is where I get stuck:

**broken link removed**

Given most people would want the connector on the edge, its not really possible to loop the other 34 pins around the sides.

I know no one here may have experience with this specific connector, but does anyone have any ideas? I have PCBs in front of me with a VHDCI connector right on the edge and all the pins routed; how do they do it? What can I do to wire this thing up?

Thanks,
Mitch

You need at least a two layer board and route the remaining pins on the other layer.

The connector is through hole. I do have a 2 layer board, but I don't see how an extra layer helps you when you can't fit a route between two pins.

Change the pads on your "foot print".
1.) Keep the drill hole the same size but decrease the size of the copper.
2.) Make the pads not round but oblong.

You can nearly do it with single sided..

Sorry missed the bit about getting to the edge.

However using top layer will do it easily

Attachments

• routing.png
    routing.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
The connector is through hole. I do have a 2 layer board, but I don't see how an extra layer helps you when you can't fit a route between two pins.
There is .8mm (31mil) spacing between pins. Thus you can have a 6mil pad annulus on each pin, 6mil spacing, a 6mil trace between pins, and still have 1 mil to spare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back