Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How To Repair Ripped Pad On This PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhatab

Hello,
I have a maxent mx-50x3 that needed a capacitor to be solder on to fix the video image. It was working fine but a loose solder caused it to fall off when moving. So I resolder it back on and it was working again but after an hour it cause the problem I had to begin with. So I tried to desolder everything and replace it with a new capacitor. In doing so I realized that the circuit pad was gone and wasn't sure if I may have burnt the board a little bit. I have posted some pictures showing my issue and the whole PCB also. I was hoping someone knows how I can fix this. Everything works fine still on the tv just no video because this missing peice so I just need to know how I can fix it.

View attachment 68881
View attachment 68882
View attachment 68883

I believe I burnt it not having much experience and it was such a tight window for soldering. Do you believe this is fixable? I would appreciate the help very much

Last edited:
That looks like the pad was part of the ground plane on the left pad.

Personally I'd just clean off some of the solder resist at the top and bottom of where the pad used to be, solder a bridge wire between the two and then solder a new cap on top of it.

Definetly will give that a try. As I said I'm not that experienced in this so if you could be alittle more clearer on where exactly to bridge wire or if you could circle it in one of the pics. Either way thanks for help I appreciate it

Added a pic with circles marking where I should bridge the wire. Just not sure if it was correct hoping you can tell me please
View attachment 68895

Last edited:
From your image662 (the third one on this post) .....

The orange dots are where I would say the track almost certainly went

The blue dots are where it may have gone from the side of the pad to the large copper fill. There appears to be damage there which could have been part of a track but I can't be 100% certain

The yellow dots are where it also may have had a connection - again there appears to be damage and bare copper but again, I can't be 100% certain.

You could just try connecting a cap up to the orange dots and see if it works. Connecting all three together would be a last ditch resort for me if the above failed.

With a bit of luck someone else will give second opinion :)

The orange dots definitely look like the trace! I can see the broken trace and where it appears to go! This is something that I have done many times even with a jumper wire when needed as sometimes you can back up on a circuit trace where there is a much better place to attach the repair wire (keep it insulated if need be except where you attach it to the pcb) and start there with your jumper! You must make sure though that by doing it this way, that you do not leave a capacitor pad or any other component normally with-in the circuit by-passed by your repair! I agree that the orange dots look like a good reference ; but as said it is very hard to tell by the photo! May I emphasize the need of a great magnifying glass in such a situation , and as I am sure you probably already have that one in your arsenal!!!

I read somewhere that there is an epoxy for circuit mending that you can even solder over the top of, when it is cured! I once looked it up and at that time it was around $30.00 plus! I cannot fully endorse it though as I have never gotten around to ordering , or using it! But maybe it would work as a last attempt effort , if need be! I think that it has silver with-in the mixture that makes it conduct and hold solder? Do your own research though as I do not want to steer you wrong because as said ; I have not yet used it! Anyway be careful and connect what looks obvious and play it by ear so that you do not harm anything else as picbits suggested!!! I do agree with him though , that it looks like it has ground fill along with the trace to be repaired! Wish you the best!

Looks like it was attached at the top off picbits photo as well, right at the top orange dot. Typical ground plane set up to isolat the ground pad from the plane for soldering.
You can connect that end of the cap to anypart of the ground plane. Even just twist it a little and solder it on, just dont over heat it.

the cap can be mechanically locked to that pad area, without masking the connectivity, by using smear of super glue. later the same can be soldered to ground plane using a small wire piece. Finally one could use the thermo sealant sold in market. perhaps a small piece could be retrieved from any equipment and re used.

Last edited:
Ended finding a easier solution. Just followed the trace up a little and wired it to another pad on the postive side. Works fine now bit thanks all for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back