Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How To Repair Ripped Copper Trace & Pad On This PCB..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssccrab

I have a Roland TD-6 Drum Module PCB that I just replaced 3 capacitors on. The board worked fine after repair, but wouldn't fit into it's cover due to one of the capacitors being too big. I decided to take the capacitor off to replace with a smaller one, and during the process of doing so, one of the contact pads and a snippet of trace pulled up off the board. The trace also broke from the contact pad. Each time I press the broken material to the board & back together, a bit of static can be heard very briefly. Nothing happens when I press a capacitor onto the pad. The board still powers up and acts normal, aside from there being no sound produced. I'm not quite sure how to fix such damage on a PCB. I've uploaded pictures here to show you what I'm talking about:

**broken link removed**

Do any of the parts/material look fried? And if so, is it repairable? Also, is there a way to repair this sort of damage to the trace/pad to get this back into working condition? Is there any flux damage involved & how can I repair this? Thanks a lot for your help, and I look forward to getting this thing working again!

Cut the two tracks back to a clean edge away from the capacitor and then clean up the other pad that the capacitor is soldered to. Place it back with a litttle dab of super glue and solder it to the remaining pad. Then solder a small piece of enamelled copper wire folded in half, at the fold, to the unconnected capacitor leg, then attach each end to the two tracks that are broken away. Common sense really...

rgds

don't cut anything away, I have done repairs such as this for over 10 years, the super glue comment is right on the money, but it looks to me that all of the foil layer is still there. Glue down the pads and press them firmly down with a flat solid object, like the end of an exacto knife handle, it will flatten the pads back down and bond them back to the board. The glue will survive the soldering process assuming you don't get to crazy with the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back