Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to remove solder bridges from ics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

innovo

hi
happy new year .
i have been working as an electronic quality inspector for 7 years..,,i lost my job since may 2007.
now all company require that you know how to solder and desolder... i have some experience in soldering thru hole and small smt ..but i have trouble soldering small ic ,fine pitch ,and remove solder bridges with the iron..i do more bridges when i remove with flux and iron,,i have 3 test in 3 companies,i fail...it is hard to use the bread for the ICS. . company dont want to use hot gun to remove ICS. at home i have all tools including loope,but no microscope....
i look for course in montreal,quebec may be private course about 10 hour.
but i can not find any place to learn. can someone give me good tips or web site ..theory is good but not helping,,i need practice..
thank you
happy new year to all

If you have a solder bridge then usually too much solder has been applied at that point. Personally I would use Desolder Braid to get rid of the excess solder, then with the help of some flux reapply solder to each pin seperately to maintain a good joint.

Brian

hi,
I agree with Brian, its usually too much solder or the iron bits the wrong size that can cause bridging, also use the correct solder gauge and iron tip temperature.

There are two grades of de-solder wick, wide/heavy or narrow/light. Use the light version for pin bridges. On some occasions you may have to apply a little new solder to the desolder braid to enable fast heat transfer.

If you are without solder wick a quick standby is the tinned braid off lightly screened cable or a wooden match, sharpened to a chisel point.
Use the match end to move the solder from between the pins as you apply the iron.
Its a good idea when you are removing excess solder to be able to account for the excess solder you are removing, this means keep your iron tip clean after each desolder.

The use of a good bench mounted magnifier is very helpful.

EDIT:
Useful extension to a link posted for another thread, soldering of devices
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
If you are without solder wick a quick standby is the tinned braid off lightly screened cable.

I made my own on a few occasions when I needed some, strip the screen off a length of TV coaxial cable, then pull it through a tin of flux - works beautifully, if anything better than what you can buy!.

thank you

thank you for your help and support..
i forget to mention that the solder bridges come from the wave machine, and from the oven(smt)..i am affraid to touch the fine pitch ic ..i am learning on it at home,,thank you so much
bonne anne
happy 2008

I use a solder sucker to remove bridges but I'm normally careful enough to not make them in the first place.;)

solder sucker for ics

hi hero999
thanks.
i dont think it is easy to use solder sucker or solder braid for big ic,bga,,,because i saw in my company,,they use only solder iron for 2 pin or 3 pins shorted,they are very professional people,maybe they can use solder sucker or better solder braid if there are too much exessive solder from smt machine...but the lady use flux and iron tip like magic even for the big iga of course using microscope...
also tools and irons tips are very importnat, some cheap companies do not supply people with hot twezzer,good iron tips..
thanks any way.

what sucks is most soldering pens usually have too big of tip for fine work, i've used a modified tip made from an exacto blade, they work pretty good, got a sharp side on one, slim blade on the other, and wide surface on both sides in case you need to gob solder on something.

crusty said:
what sucks is most soldering pens usually have too big of tip for fine work, i've used a modified tip made from an exacto blade, they work pretty good, got a sharp side on one, slim blade on the other, and wide surface on both sides in case you need to gob solder on something.

Home made tips. "Gobbing" solder on. Sounds like a recipe for disaster that does.

Brian

Hero999 said:
I use a solder sucker to remove bridges but I'm normally careful enough to not make them in the first place.;)

I've never been much of a fan of solder suckers. I used them in complete ignorance for a while, until I was having trouble one day and someone passed me desolder braid. I got on better with that, and I've not looked back since. I still keep a sucker in my toolbox though, they can be good for clearing most of the solder off large joints very quickly. Then I do the smaller bits (or smaller joints) with the braid.

Brian

Brian Hoskins said:
Home made tips. "Gobbing" solder on. Sounds like a recipe for disaster that does.

Brian
whatever werks billy bob bubba.;)
I've had to gob solder on a couple things, fixing large wires together, fixing sunglasses, connecting a coax to some copper pipping, connecting 110 electrical to some boards, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes you just need a good gob.

Last edited:
crusty said:
whatever werks billy bob bubba.;)
I've had to gob solder on a couple things, fixing large wires together, fixing sunglasses, connecting a coax to some copper pipping, connecting 110 electrical to some boards, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes you just need a good gob.

So you mean you're pretty inept at soldering then? :p

Yeah this is what crusty calls a good solder job:

**broken link removed**

Have we drifted a bit? The original post asked how to get training for tests that an employer might ask him to remove a solder bridge, and (unstated), that the bridge was not of his making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back