Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to remove Heat Sink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I need to try put new heat sink compound on my CPU to see if this fixes my computer. How does this come apart looks like 4 black plastic things hold down the heat sink. I cant figure out if they pull off, un snap or un screw or what?

**broken link removed**

I'd guess the plastic things just unscrew (perhaps only 1/4 turn needed). Looks like they have finger grips on top.

Also looks like you are running on minimum RAM too. :(

This is exactly what I needed to get it apart. Getting it back together was tricky. I put new heat sink compound on the video card too. Next I will do the north bridge chip and south bridge chip.

I still have the same problem, I can not change pages. If I click a link to a page with graphics it takes a whole 2 minutes to load. If I click to a 3rd video page computer locks up and stays locked up.

Both ram slots are full. There are 4 slots. 2 slots for one type ram and 2 slots for another type ram. I bought the largest ram fastest ram I could get for 2 slot. Only allowed to use 1 type ram at a time.

I still have the same problem, I can not change pages. If I click a link to a page with graphics it takes a whole 2 minutes to load. If I click to a 3rd video page computer locks up and stays locked up.

Both ram slots are full. There are 4 slots. 2 slots for one type ram and 2 slots for another type ram. I bought the largest ram fastest ram I could get for 2 slot. Only allowed to use 1 type ram at a time.

Sounds like your whole system is corrupted and needs to be reloaded from the ground up. I reload all of my computers about once a years due to similar problems. It just goes with use.

I have never heard of a modern computer that will not run both sets of RAM together unless it was set up wrong.

That Biostar mainboard supports 4 DDR2 slots, you should be able to match the RAM to the Front Side Bus speeds and use all 4 slots. Of course, it's an antique now by modern standards, so save your money for something more up to date :)

That Biostar mainboard supports 4 DDR2 slots, you should be able to match the RAM to the Front Side Bus speeds and use all 4 slots. Of course, it's an antique now by modern standards, so save your money for something more up to date :)

That is exactly what I was thinking. Time to buy a new MD, Ram, video card and build another computer.

I bought a memory stick for Linux, I am going to start running Linux right off the stick and stop using windows. I wont need to worry much about viruses, spyware, malware, pop ups, etc. with Linux.

I wont need to worry much about viruses, spyware, malware, pop ups, etc. with Linux.

Really, how long have these delusions been going on? Linux isn't really any more secure than Windows. What it has in it's favour though, is a large open community that constantly keep an eye open for security vulnerabilities, and plug any they find reasonably quickly. Word gets around pretty damned fast in the open community. Compared to Windows, Linux always tends to look like it is more secure, but it has a much, much smaller personal desktop distribution than Windows, and is hence targeted less often by the nefarious types. Obviously, the reporting of such incidents follows that trend, so Windows is always in the spotlight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back