Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to reduce output from 32 vdc power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryH

I am working on a project that has a 32 vdc stepper motor for which I have a power supply. However, I would like to use the same power supply to power a 24 vdc, 6W solenoid.

Is there a simple, inexpensive way to reduce the 32 vdc to 24 vdc?

I saw a diagram utilizing two resistors in series. The stepped down lead came from between the two resistors and one of them went to ground. Would something like this work and if so, how do I calcualte the resistance?

I am a total novice so need all the help I can get with this.... TIA

Last edited:
If you want to use a resistor, use Ohm's law like this: A 24V, 6W coil, will have a resistance found by V^2/6W = 96Ω. Then you divide the 24V by the 96Ω and find the coil uses .25A of current. You want to "burn off" 8V (32V-24V) so divide that by the .25A and presto! 32Ω. 33Ω is the closest standard value, so use that. The resistor will need to be 8V x .25A = 2W, so make it a 5W to be on the safe side. A 5W resistor costs less than a buck.

Last edited:
Yeah, matter of fact if all you have is the solenoid and nothing else, do as Duffy suggest.

Ron

Thanks, everyone. Really appreciate the quick responses.

Reloadron - tried to get a source for the part you linked to and Mouser and Newark indicate "obsolete and therefore unavailable" - this was only for the 24v. You seem to know this stuff - is there another part number for perhaps a newer model?

Thanks again

Thanks, 4pyros and Duffy.

While thinking it was unavailable, found an adjustable regulator at the local Radio Shack and got it tuned in perfectly. However, the 24v sounds easier.

Is there basically any difference in using the regulator vs. using a resistor? Would they both allow the same amount of current in the circuit?

Thanks again, it is really nice to be able to post a question and get answers so quickly.

The resistor will fire the solenoid more quickly - the reactance of the coil at "time zero" is infinite, so the voltage it would see will be the full +32V instead of +24V, which is why the L/R time constant is lower. Usually this is an advantage with a solenoid, sometimes it is not.

If you have anything ELSE that may want the +24V, you need to use the regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back