Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to protect the copper strips of a stripboard from rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

ive seen alot of stripboards being ruined due to rust. from what i understand is that this happens when your fingers touch the copper strips. i try not to touch the strips with my fingers and i usually keep new stripboards in bubble packing. but can somebody tell me a better solution. its just that the stripboards look very ugly when they have rusted and i dont like that. what do u guys do to protect it from rusting?

Re: how to protect the copper strips of a stripboard from ru

samcheetah said:
ive seen alot of stripboards being ruined due to rust. from what i understand is that this happens when your fingers touch the copper strips. i try not to touch the strips with my fingers and i usually keep new stripboards in bubble packing. but can somebody tell me a better solution. its just that the stripboards look very ugly when they have rusted and i dont like that. what do u guys do to protect it from rusting?

Well, for a start it's not 'rust' - rust is iron oxide, the strips are copper so you get some kind of copper oxide.

A simple solution, if it bothers you, is to varnish the bottom of the board after it's completed - you can get spray cans to do this.

Or tin the board in a tinning wash.
It's a normal part of PCB manufacturing.

Edit: Or just tin the board using solder. It will prevent the copper from degrading as it's more reactive.

Restore a board

You can restore a tarnished but otherwise new board if you prepare a solution of vinegar and salt and dip the board in for a moment or two, then scrub and wash. DO NOT use this method with boards that already have solder, tin or components on them, as this will actually make it WORSE.

You can restore a tarnished but otherwise new board if you prepare a solution of vinegar and salt and dip the board in for a moment or two, then scrub and wash. DO NOT use this method with boards that already have solder, tin or components on them, as this will actually make it WORSE.

Thats worth a bump , it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back