Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to properly short two pads on PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

We have a problem in a design where a SMD diode (SOD-123 footprint) shouldnt be assembled, and its pads should actually be shorted.
Now we cant find a 0-ohm resistor with the same footprint as the SMD diode, and actually dont have enough time to order some.

What is the best way to short the two pads of the diode?

Max of 80mA were going to pass through that diode, and the input voltage of the diode was 5V.

Would tin be enough?
Any better way?

Thank you.

A piece of wire and some solder.... Whatever fits on the pads and will carry 80ma.

I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but why did you have to ask this question?

Thank you.

You are right, it does sound a question which its answer is obvious.

Even though I started messing my hands with circuits a year ago, I still feel unexperienced and I always have a doubt about things.

Is it ok to use only tin for shorting the two pads?

The thing is that the pads are really close to each other (SOD123 footprint), and therefore its hard using a piece of wire to connect the two pads to each other.

So, would tin be enough?

Thank you.

Think about it this way...

How is any component electrically & mechanically connected to it's PCB copper pad, and what is the coating on the component leads?

Even tin whiskers can take more than 50mA before they fail. Basic Info on Tin Whiskers

You could probably just use solder but a wire is more reliable. Just solder a short wire to one pad. Then solder the wire to the other pad.

You'll grow more comfortable with making decisions about things as you make more circuits, just takes time.
By tin do you mean tin/lead solder, yes since the pads are so close together a simple solder jumper should work fine, just make sure the solder really sticks to the pads well.

Hold a wet finger on it

Hold a wet finger on it
Seriously.....
Stop_posting_small.jpg

Mickster thank you for that post, I haven't had a good laugh on here in a while =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back