Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to program cleanly a PIC 12F629 with pk2cmd tool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laserpithium

Dear all,

First of all hello everybody, this is my first post in this forum.

I am new in PIC programming, and I have a question I didn't managed to get a clear answer on Google:
I want to program a PIC 12F629, but as I am using Linux (and not Windows), I can not use the very comprehensive IDE from Microchip: the burning of the PIC is performed with the pk2cmd command line.

However, I have read that the PIC12F629 has written inside at location 0x3FF the OSCCAL calibration value for the internal oscillator, and that this value should never be over-written.
My question is: how can I be sure, using pk2cdm, that I will not burn the program at this specific location ?
pk2cmd says that I can choose the location I want to download to with the option -M, but it is not very clear for me which parameters to give:
Code:
M<memory region>     Program Device                           Do Not Program
                     memory regions:
                         P = Program memory
                         E = EEPROM
                         I = ID memory
                         C = Configuration memory
                         If no region is entered, the entire
                         device will be erased & programmed.
                         If a region is entered, no erase
                         is performed and only the given
                         region is programmed.
                         All programmed regions are verified.
                                    (serial EEPROM memory is 'P')
Should I use P or E ? Should I specify a range ?

Thank you for your advices.

Before a pic12 is erased most programmers will allow you to jot this value down, Then before programming you can just write the value in...

I have the pickit2 which will allow a new osccal value to be generated.. So it doesn't bother me...

Oh yeh,, welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Ian Rogers the OP is using a pickit2 he is wanting to use the software CMD with out the windows front end .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back