Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to power various DC devices from closet cleanly

Status
Not open for further replies.

mklein

I already have a 12v? rack-mount cctv power supply.

Some serial LCDs which I need to drive from wiring closet offer 'high' voltage option and will run from 9-15vdc. So this should work on cctv power supply unit.

But I have some devices like an iButton reader w/led that takes 2.7vdc and short of moving my bench power supply down into closet to dial in right voltage...how best is this done?

My cctv power supply wouldn't be appropriate correct?

I'm looking for something that could drive 'n' devices also.

thanks in advance.

mike

Last edited:
I already have a 12v? rack-mount cctv power supply.

Some serial LCDs which I need to drive from wiring closet offer 'high' voltage option and will run from 9-15vdc. So this should work on cctv power supply unit.

But I have some devices like an iButton reader w/led that takes 2.7vdc and short of moving my bench power supply down into closet to dial in right voltage...how best is this done?

My cctv power supply wouldn't be appropriate correct?

I'm looking for something that could drive 'n' devices also.

thanks in advance.

mike

I am confused about what exactly you are asking, but I think you just need a resistor for the button's led.

Ok, so for any dc device I want to power from 12vdc cctv rack power supply...I can merely insert resistor (appropriate one) to bring voltage down to 2.7vdc.

I should do this on + side of power on cctv power supply or does it matter.

I think this reference explains it well...thanks for help.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Ok, so for any dc device I want to power from 12vdc cctv rack power supply...I can merely insert resistor (appropriate one) to bring voltage down to 2.7vdc.

I should do this on + side of power on cctv power supply or does it matter.

I think this reference explains it well...thanks for help.

**broken link removed**

Basically, that is the how you can power your led. You just need to calculate the right resistor for whatever you are trying to run off it.

A better option would be to use a voltage regulator to change the 12vdc input to the 2.7 vdc output for your device. A resistor will only drop the correct voltage at one specific current draw and many devices vary the current they draw depending on what they are doing at any specific time.

Lefty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back