Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to power LEDs with AC power

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinTheGreat

I am just wondering if someone can help me with a circuit to power a sting of LEDs in a ivy garland (for my wedding reception) with AC power.

Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to Electro-Tech-Online!
The easiest way to do this would simply be with an ac-dc adapter. The voltage needed depends on the number of LEDs. How long is the garland?
Another idea would simply be a string of LED Christmas lights.
Hope this helps, and congratulations on the wedding!
Der Strom

Is there a way to use AC power with an LED or does it strictly have to be DC voltage? Its hard to find LED Christmas lights this time of year since they were all picked up by customers at 50% off.

How do the Christmas lights work? Is there a resistor or something?

I am needing maybe 50+ feet with about one LED per foot or so.

I need a 200v capacitor and a resistor in series with the LEDs right? Then find the voltage drop across each LED to find the corresponding value for the resistor?

How do the Christmas lights work? Is there a resistor or something

LED Christmas lights are many LEDs wired in series and powered directly off the mains voltage. Thay are diodes so thay make thare own DC. The Better sets use a full wave bridge rectifier to lesson the fliker.

You can buy LED Christmas lights year round off the net. Look up "Creative Displays, Inc." Andy

so if I were to put many LEDs in series, it will work

Yes thats how its done

You must pic your LEDs and from thare Vf see how many you need.

Do you have the specifications of your LEDs, or do you not have them yet?

Welcome to Electro-Tech-Online!
The easiest way to do this would simply be with an ac-dc adapter. The voltage needed depends on the number of LEDs. How long is the garland?
Another idea would simply be a string of LED Christmas lights.
Hope this helps, and congratulations on the wedding!
Der Strom
crazy agree with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back