Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to mount NTE5827

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karkas

Hello, could anyone tell me how do you mount thid kind of diode?

NTE5827

**broken link removed**

It is a stud type casing commonly inserted into a hole in a heatsink. Most automotive alternators use this arrangement for the rectifier diodes ( not the exciter diodes)

I would describe it as a press or interference fit diode that is forced into a heat-sink hole. A stud-mount diode has a threaded stud such as this that bolts through or is threaded in a hole in the heat-sink.

Last edited:
crutschow's on the ball as usual.

Typically a reamed hole. Some of the diodes are complementary or have the case as the Anode or Cathode depending on part number. The plate it's pressed into is one of the terminals. Common in car alternators and some battery chargers.

Just pressuring it? Can it be placed in a PCB? or only in heatsinks? how do I connect it to the other components in the PCB if that's the case?

Nope, no pressing into a PC board. If you want to mount it in a PCB, you'll have to take a small sheet if 3/16 to 1/8 Aluminum and put the hole for the device and two others for mounting with wires for electrical contacts.

A note about holes: A tpical twist deill, drills a somewhat trangular hole. A piliot point bit or bullet bit drills a more rounder hole, but they don't appear to be availabe in all sizes. An end mill or a ball mill will also drill a relatively round hole.

But, this generally isn't good enough for an interference fit. if the mounting hole is 3/8", then one would use an undersized reemer. These are available in 0.001 undersized for press fits and 0.001 oversized for sliding fits.

Last edited:
If you need to operate the diode at over an amp then it will need to be mounted in a heat sink. Since mounting this type of diode in a heat sink generally requires specialized equipment (ream and press), I recommend using a diode with a threaded stud mount that is easily attached to a heat sink with common tools.

Thank you very much for your replies, I see it is not that easy to mount them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back