Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure current using ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StupidDum

Is there ADC for current measurement?
Or need external resistor circuitry to somehow convert current to voltage?

Thanks to an expert, Nigel.

I think he just taught me that it can be done by first converting the current to voltage through an op-amp circuitry.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Need advice, please?

StupidDum said:

You simply measure the voltage drop across a resistor in series with the load - simple ohms law, a 1 ohm resistor will drop 1V for every amp of current.

As you probably can't afford to lose 5V off your supply rail, it's usual to use a smaller resistor and amplify the voltage drop with an opamp - this also allows you to reference the voltage to 0V (by using a differential opamp circuit).

Thanks! Now i've got rough idea of how things are done.

Now I am having difficulties in selecting components.

Suppose I use 5V supply, which Op-Amp and ADC is suitable??

There are too many op-amp, and there are quite a lot that can fit into this application as well. Which type of op-amp is more appropriate?

StupidDum said:
what are you thinking of trying to measure??
am i correct that you are not trying to measure 5A of current ?
hopefully ?
i have used a 1 ohm resistor on many occasions to measure current -in the 0 to 200mA range.
if you set your reference on the adc correctly To 1/2 your estimated maximum input Voltage .you should be fine.. :D

what i am really trying to say is you should study the adc that you intend to use.. becaust there is a minimum voltage that can be converted on all ADC's .
dont quote me on this but 19 mV comes to mind on the 0804 adc
this means that 0 to 18 mV ouputs a 00000000 on the 0804
and 19 mV to 37mV or so produces a 00000001 ..and so on
anyway check the LSB voltage this will give ya an idea of what ya can expect..

the current input range is from 0 - 20mA.

The thing bothering me now is, I have freedom to use any ADC and op-amp, but I have no idea exactly which one the be used.

I need an ADC with SPI interface , in PDIP package. Do you have any ADC in your mind now?

StupidDum said:
the current input range is from 0 - 20mA.

The thing bothering me now is, I have freedom to use any ADC and op-amp, but I have no idea exactly which one the be used.

I need an ADC with SPI interface , in PDIP package. Do you have any ADC in your mind now?
the MPC 3004
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back