Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure current draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Helloall. How do you measure current draw of a circuit? Do you just put the two leads of ur multimeter on the battery n connect the battery 2 the circuit? cuz that doesnt work 4 me.

that wud measure voltage. to measure current, connect 1 side of the circuit to the battery and the other lead thru the multimeter (so the meter is in series with the circuit)

I quit using my multimeter as a milli-ammeter, too many blown fuses. Hey, don't forget to put that thing back in "Volts" before taking a voltage reading doh!

Now I put a 1 ohm resistor in series wherever I want to measure current and measure the millivolt drop across it. Most of the time a 1 ohm resistor is negligible in the circuit, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

j.

measuring current draw

hi,

connect your DMM is series with the +supply line. positive or red probe connected to the power source and the negative or black probe to the device power line. but be sure to have the DMM current selector in the appropiate value. :D

If you have Already Connected your Amp-meter in parallel with the battery, You have PROBABLY BLOWN THE FUSE in it.

Before Proceding to connect it in series, Check the fuse or you won't get any Readings.

Gary

DOH DOH DOH :oops: . I cant believe that I forgot that . . . its all coming back 2 me now. thanx :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back