Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure ac voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac/dc

I'm fixing a dvd player, which has a live and neutral pin, but when i connect the multimeter between live and earth i get 0 volts. I know ac voltage is different from dc because it is a sine wave, but why can't i get a voltage reading of 240volts? Why is it just 0 volts?
(and i've switched the multimeter to ac reading)

You should measure 240Vac (or whatever the line voltage is). Do you measure 240Vac at the line socket?

I'm fixing a dvd player, which has a live and neutral pin,
do you mean just a two pin plug, no earth pin?

but when i connect the multimeter between live and earth i get 0 volts.
Why are you measuring between live and earth?
What are you calling "earth"?
The chassis of the DVD player?

why can't i get a voltage reading of 240volts? Why is it just 0 volts?
(and i've switched the multimeter to ac reading)

The chassis is probably floating, not connected to real earth. If so, you will not see any voltage if the chassis is not earthed.

You need to define what is "earth" and consider where to connect the meter probes.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back