Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to manage logic gates with pulses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daipapagaya

For example, using a momentary push button (normally off), 3 led and the logic gates needed, how can i do this?.

- 1st pulse. If all leds are off, turn on the first.
- 2nd pulse. If led 1 is on, turn on 2 and 3.
- 3rd push. If all leds are on, turn off all.

Of course, logic gates must be maintained in position between pulses.

I know how to do this using static switches, so there is always tension, but with momentary the logic of the circuit dissapears after the first pulse .... Any ideas?.

thanks

At least two ways to do this:

1. 3 flip-flops
2. Binary counter that resets after 3rd bit set (0--> 1--> 2--> 0--> 1--> 2--> ...)

Last edited:
Since you have three states you could do it with two flip-flops.

How can you get three states out of two flip-flops? There are only two outputs (unless you count the Q-bar ones, which are only the inverse of the Q outputs).

Either this won't work or I'm missing something obvious here ...

Four sequential states? How?
Look at BrownOut's sequence. It's a binary sequence of the two FF outputs. Two bits give you four states. You hook the two FFs up as a 2-bit counter to get the four states.

Edit: For the op's requirement you would configure the FFs to count states 1, 2, and 4, skipping state 3. (See attached)

3-State Counter.jpg

Last edited:
Look at BrownOut's sequence. It's a binary sequence of the two FF outputs. Two bits give you four states. You hook the two FFs up as a 2-bit counter to get the four states.

Edit: For the op's requirement you would configure the FFs to count states 1, 2, and 4, skipping state 3. (See attached)
**broken link removed**

So you'd need an AND gate to generate state 4, correct?
And how do you get the FFs to skip state 3?

Just saw your attachment and am studying it. I see you're using J-K FFs.

Last edited:
Yes, I just added the attachment. J-K FFs are easier then D FFs for this type of circuit since they require less (no) external gating.

Edit: No, you don't need any external gates for 4 states either. See the attached for a 2-bit, 4-state counter configuration of the two FFs

2-Bit Counter.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back