Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make a robot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anant29

hello friends,

hi i am anant.i have made small electronics projects before like (water level alarm, AM FM radio.) but i have never made a robot before. i can put in circuit components and solder them in a circuit myself but i dont know how to design the circuit myself. I am planning to make a robot for my final year project. there are quite a couple of questions that i have:-
1. How do I Start building my robot ?
2. What aspects should i keep in mind while planning my robot?
3. Do i need to design every single circuit diagram that is used or it might be available ready ?
4. frankly speaking .......... tell me everything !!! :?: i dont have any idea !! :cry: and that is pulling me down to getting it made from somewhere ..... which i dont want to do !!
i was wondering if anyone can guide me as to how to proceed ?
PLEASEEEEEEEE HELPP ME !!!!

WOULD BE MORE THAN OBLIGED FOR ANY KIND OF HELP !!
thanking you
Anant.

The term "robot" describes a very broad range of devices. A robot could be a device which has human-like characteristics, human-like features and is able to communicate intelligently using a high-tech electronic brain and speech processors. Or a robot could be a small, crude vehicle on wheels with some electronics which allows it to naviagate around a maze by following a white line. Or a robot could be a mechanical arm which automatically opens a tin of beans and then disposes of the empty can via a bin.

So really, you first need to decide what sort of robot you're hoping to create here. I think it's safe to assume you'll be wanting a microprocessor controlled robot, but what task would you like it to be capable of doing exactly?

Answer that question and you're half way there to deciding what exactly you want to try to design and build

Brian

You mentioned this is for your final year project. I think you need to consider how long you have before this project is due. Will you have time to learn and understand all that is involved in the field of robotics? I would recommend you build something simplier and build it well.

Experience has tought me that a simplier project that works perfectly will achieve more than a complex project that isn't finished.

I am not trying to discourage you from learning about robots, I just think you need to put things in perspective. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't bite off more than you can chew.

hmmmmmmm that is a true i should decide first as to waht to make !!
But i have a very vague idea or lets say i have no idea as to what to make !!
is there any site from where i can get inspiration as to what to make ?
any link that would give me some directions ?

thanks for your replies ..

bye
tc
Anant.

A robot could be a device which has human-like characteristics, human-like features and is able to communicate intelligently using a high-tech electronic brain and speech processors. Or a robot could be a small, crude vehicle on wheels with some electronics which allows it to naviagate around a maze by following a white line. Or a robot could be a mechanical arm which automatically opens a tin of beans and then disposes of the empty can via a bin.

anant 29....this answers ur question of what to make nearly perfectly. The rest of the answer is based on ur imagination. A robotics project is not a fixed circuit, it can start from controlling a pair of wheels to constructing something like Asimo..... Spend ur time on this site through all other posts.....decide on what u wud like to make for urself based on all factors like time and financial circumstances....and then ask ppl here specific questions of how u can make it

dont forget to do some googleing as well.

Robot making

its easy to start up with a four wheel buggy.make a simple drive and try to control it via a pair of dpdt switch.make adifferential drive.

If you don't have the time to learn assembly language or build a programmer or teach yourself the data archetecture of PIC microcontroller,

I recommend a different branch of robotics: BEAM.

Play with the Suspended Bicore (you can google it), and you can build a pretty interesting 4 legged walker with a couple of touch sensors.

IMO, there are 4 main components of a robot.
The first is the microcontroller section. This forms the heart of the robot, and will implement whatever control algorithms you want to implement.
The second is the motor control section. The most common form of motor control is the H-Bridge. There are all-in-one motor driver ICs such as the L298 that you could use.
The third but optional section is the sensor section. This would also include circuits to allow the microcontroller core to read sensor inputs.
The last, and also optional section is the control interface, or the interface in which a human controller communicates with the microcontroller. It can be via serial/parallel ports, or using wireless means.

Circuitry for the all sections can easily be googled, as long as you have defined the capabilities of your robot. You would probably spend most of your time learning microcontroller programming.

You can build one of those simple programers that contain dow to 5 components.PICs are easy to program so they dont need complex programers.You can also buy one.

Then you need an microcontroler it self.You can get free samples from microchip.Wen building a robot its nice to have ADC (Analog Digital Converter) to read from analog sensors.Whithout this the PIC can only sense an logical high and an logical low.Then there is PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) this is used to control an motors speed.Whithout this the motor can only be full on or.(this make the robot realy clumsly)

As for programing PICs its easy to use an high level language like Basic or C.
Mikroelectronika has some compilers there cales mikroBasic and MikroC.Its not the most powerful compiler but its realy easy to learn.

I wod recomend first making somting that is mobile,Then start puting on sensors like toch,light,reflection.And then give it an griper arm or an air gun and make it wirelesly controled or monitord.

good luck in robotics

Oh and you can make it analog but the robot is a bit smarter whith an microcontroler.Besides its easyer to design too

hello friends
I wanna to know about robot ie how it works ,what are the basics that we must know & how we can get it Bcz I have no Idea about robot even I am 2nd year student of BE electo & comm . pls any one mail me at rajesh.labh@ntc.net.np.
Rajesh

@rajeshkl, please read the beginning part of this thread. Then you will hopefully be able to ask intelligent questions.

A hint or two on posting: Most of us will not respond to requests for private responses. The purpose of this forum is to have a community where everyone benefits.

Meow?

Basic robotics

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back