Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a coupled inductor using Toroidal core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You put two (or more) windings on the core. See this.

Thank u crutschow, but my doubt is after wounding the 1st winding on the toroid, how to start second and wher to start?

unless you are looking for some type of high voltage isolation, it doesn't matter where you start the second winding. in fact if you take yellow (or green) insulated magnet wire and red magnet wire, and twist them together before winding the transformer, you will have what is known as a "bifilar winding" with a 1:1 turns ratio. it's voltage isolation will be the combined breakdown voltages of the enamel on the two wires (probably good to about 100V in most cases, but don't push it. bifilar windings are usually used for low voltages) so don't use a bifilar winding for something operated from the power line...

it would help if we knew something about what you are trying to accomplish. our answers can only be as vague as the question.

thank u, unclejed613. I want to use this as an coupled inductor, so when some excitation given to that inductor it need to store the energy. So my net flux should not be zero. But in trnsformer we don,t want to store the energy. This is the point where i am getting confused. What is the winding difference between transformer and coupled inductor?

So what you are saying is that you want to make a loosely coupled coil, correct? If so, then you're not going to have much luck doing it with a toroid. It will give you a coupling coefficient very close to one.

so are you trying to use it in a manner similar to an ignition coil? in an ignition coil, a DC current is sent through the primary winding storing energy as magnetic flux. when the points open, the magnetic field collapses inducing a current in the secondary coil, providing a high voltage spike (actually it's a damped AC wave, because of the capacitor (condenser) in the primary circuit that makes the energy release oscillate).

Last edited:
Thank u all all for u r suggestions, I made the coupled inductor and it's working fine.I just want a 1:1.06 ratio coupled inductor, I need to have some leakage inductance as it is participating in my circuit operation, but it is less for toroids. I don't have any other cores with me now, that's why i m going for toroid.

Thank u all once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back