Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a 5V negative supply using the LM2576 regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesam_m

The negative voltage provision is necessary for some circuits. Usually, the best and cheap option is to use a switching voltage converter. Sometimes the power consumption on the negative rail is high, therefore selecting the LM2576 could be a good choice.
The LM2576 series of regulators are monolithic integrated circuits that provide all the active functions for a step-down (buck) switching regulator, capable of driving 3A load with excellent line and load regulations. In this task, we used it as a positive to negative converter and regulator (buck-boost).
In this case, the fixed 5V regulator (LM2576-5) has been selected, but you are free to choose the 3.3V, 12V or 15V versions either. The regulator type selection (fixed output) does not make any specific change in the circuit.

Below is the schematic diagram of the regulator.

thcs_fig1.jpg

I have used the Altium designer CAD to design a PCB for the circuit. I did not have the footprint of the LM2576, therefore I used the Samacsys Altium plugin to find the available footprint.

97k4_fig7.jpg

qzy_fig2.jpg

qbf9_fig3.jpg

3a00_fig4.jpg

I built the circuit and tested the output. The voltage is fixed at 5.03V. To check the switching noises, I used the oscilloscope in the AC mode, 50mV division. As the figures imply, the switching noise frequency is around 52KHz and the amplitude is around 210mVp-p.

t7lf_fig5.jpg

jqa9_fig6.jpg

I tried to implement an LC filter to reduce the output noise, but interestingly it did not reduce the noise! Maybe a capacitance multiplier could help but I did not try it, because one advantage of this circuit is a high current delivery (if I don’t mistake, it can be around 400mA) and using the capacitance multiplier can reduce the output current or introduce a voltage drop.

I’ve attached the Altium files. The board is a single layer PCB. You can modify it with SMD parts or change it based on your own needs.

Attachments

• LM2576.zip
    278.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
can you also post the schematic in pdf form? Many of us don´t have Altium installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back