Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a 2.4Mhz omino aerial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

How to make a 2.4Ghz omino aerial

I would like to know how to make a omenio aerial have know idea where to start.Help
I am looking at making a 2.4Ghz , 12Db gain aerial.
The frequency in the title should be 2.4 Ghz

Last edited:
This is the way that you learn about things .
Just buying the aerial dos not increase the ability to learn.
That is the reason why I want to make one is to learn

Not much to learn from building one, but at $120 bucks it may be worth making your own.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thank you for your Information.
I would like to increase the Db to 24 how would I go about this .
Do I add extra sector's ? will this change the Ghz value.

Thank you for your Information.
Do I add extra sector's ? will this change the Ghz value.
What makes you think there is any magic that would allow this? Antennas are passive devices and their gain depends only on their geometry and their placement with respect to the environment. If you want to experiment I suggest you download a copy of EZ-NEC so you can try various combinations and plot the results.

An omnidirectional antenna is pretty close to an isotropic radiator. Getting 24 dBi is going to be a real challenge without going directional.

Do I add extra sector's ?

To achieve a gain of 24dB with the omnidirectional colinear antenna in the link given by Mikebits, you would need to increase the number of sections to 256 (as a quick and dirty rule of thumb).
To increase the gain by 3db you have to double the number of elements.
24 is 3 x 8, so we have to double the number of elements 8 times, and 2 to the eighth power is 256.

Alternatively, at 2.4 Ghz using a parabolic dish antenna which will be highly directional, the dish would need to be about 1metre diameter to give 24db gain.

Why do you think you need so much gain?

JimB

With that many elements, tuning it should be relatively simple and straightforward. RIIIIIGHT!

Antenna gain and directionality are always inversely proportional. Even so called omnidirectional antennas are directional in that they do not radiate the same in the vertical plane Vs horizontal plane or visa versa depending on it's mounting orientation, thus trading gain for directionality like any other antenna.

The higher the gain the more directional the coverage, it's a physical law thing. There is one free lunch advantage to gain antennas in that the gain is seen in both it's receive and transmit functions. It's like adding more transmitter power and receiver sensitivity at the same time.

Last edited:
Isn't a 'discone' a multi-band low gain aerial?.

Yes, known for it's super wide bandwidth (>10:1 range with good SWR IIRC). It's shaped like a vertical cone with a top hat. Some small gain as all radiation is in the horizontal plane.

Yes, known for it's super wide bandwidth (>10:1 range with good SWR IIRC). It's shaped like a vertical cone with a top hat. Some small gain as all radiation is in the horizontal plane.
Great only +24 dB to go to reach the OPs original requirement. At least we're not heading for an omnidirectional antenna with a gain less than 0 dBi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back